No brakes

86grandntl

Hey guys, after having my 86 gn sit for about two months, I attempted to drive it to work the other day only to find that the brake pedal is hard as a rock and the brake light on the dash is flashing. I had to stand on the brake pedal just to get the car to stop from about 5 mph. I checked all four wheels and there are no visible brake fluid leaks. The brake fluid reservoir is full with brake fluid and I just had the brake accumulator bowl or ball (I’ve heard both said) replaced before winter time because I was having the same issue. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I’ve heard of brakes seizing because of the car sitting too long but I don’t think that applies here because I can’t get my car to stop at all. Thanks for any info, Justin.

Power master failure. Time to swap to vacuum or hydroboost. Don't fool around with a 30 yr powermaster. It wants to kill you and it will if you give it the opportunity.

He speaks the truth 86grandntl. You may be able to fix it but not only will it be temporary but you're rolling the dice as to when you find out they've failed again. Like backing out the driveway or a panic stop on the freeway. I went vacuum.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I’ve heard of brakes seizing because of the car sitting too long but I don’t think that applies here because I can’t get my car to stop at all. Thanks for any info, Justin.

Try a search. The topic has been discussed repeatedly, for many yrs....

Probably needs a new pressure vessel, the black and yellow ball on the driver side of the unit. New ones are selling for about $175 - $200 these days.

Then again, there are about ten other things that can cause the same symptoms you are experiencing. Do a search, this issue has been discussed extensively.

I found myself in the same boat as the OP this morning as I was gonna drive the T to work , Hard pedal and didn't wanna stop in the driveway .

I found myself in the same boat as the OP this morning as I was gonna drive the T to work , Hard pedal and didn't wanna stop in the driveway .

Vacuum FTW! $140 at Rock Auto plus drilling the pedal or getting a used one for $45.

FYI, the cheap vacuum filters blow up around 25psi

Attachments

• 1A539B20-5CA7-4733-8796-5B9B614DC463.jpeg
    1A539B20-5CA7-4733-8796-5B9B614DC463.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
You can also get a re-manufactured booster and master cylinder at Advance Auto parts. Take advantage of their 20% on internet purchases. Make sure you get an 87 NA regal master cylinder, which is the same as all the other Gbody master cylinders.

Is it a complete package ? Sorry for the ignorance just ran into the brake deal this morning .

It’s not, but here is a print screen of my order. You still need a vacuum pedal, or drill your existing one, I drilled. Ignore the first item and the vacuum filter.

Also need to tap into a vacuum port, either with a block or some other spot.

Attachments

• 0C96EF6C-E33B-4EA2-9464-478D3EA59B7A.jpeg
    0C96EF6C-E33B-4EA2-9464-478D3EA59B7A.jpeg
    397.7 KB · Views: 43
On the vacuum, just cut the 3/8" hose right above the PCV valve and insert a 3/8" brass T you can purchase at NAPA, or other autoparts stores, and run the third leg to the check valve on the booster.

Is it true the non turbo 86/87 come with the vacuum brakes ? So I could order the set up for an 86T Type with the 307 V8

Is it true the non turbo 86/87 come with the vacuum brakes ? So I could order the set up for an 86T Type with the 307 V8

Yeah, or 6 cylinder NA. It doesn't matter. All G-body cars from 81, V6 and V8, use the same master cylinder and came with vacuum brakes. The earlier G bodies, the master cylinder reservoir is smaller.

Yeah, or 6 cylinder NA. It doesn't matter. All G-body cars from 81, V6 and V8, use the same master cylinder. The earlier G bodies, the master cylinder reservoir is smaller.
Thank you , I'm gonna see if MAYBE it was just a fuse that blew but I'm probably going that route . I have never had any issues with the brakes on the Gn , We just got the T back in September and when we got it when you touched the brake pedal the brake light would flash but wouldn't stay on . It only done that the first week or so after getting the car . Been fine since this morning .

Well, you have to decide if you want to keep it, which could be expensive, or changing over to vacuum and forgetting about it. See if you can access a brake pedal for vacuum brakes. Either that, or you'll have to modify the powermaster pedal.