No Power Assist on Steering

Tim_D

I've recently completed building a '64 Buick Special containing an '87 GN engine/trans. At the same time, I decided to switch the manual steering gear in the Special to a power unit from a GN, since the boxes are physically the same dimensions. I bought a re-manufactured gear and pump from Rock Auto, and sent the core pump back. I didn't have a core for the gear. I used a reservoir that is common on many BMWs, since it is round, black, inexpensive, and matched the underhood appearance of the rest of the car. The feed line was from the donor GN, does not leak, and was cleaned inside and out prior to installation.

After getting the car running, I still don't have power assist. The system is definitely bled (no bubbles or foaming). I'm kinda stumped, since the parts are new (reman) units.

I've read that the GN pump is reverse rotation (CCW). Do you think it's possible that the reman pump from Rock Auto is not reverse rotation? How can I tell if I have system pressure? Any other tips or suggestions would be awesome, because the high effort steering is no fun.

I’ll bet ya 10 to 1 that they didn’t send you the correct one. They probably sent you a standard g body gear, not the quick ratio GN style.

With how sloppy the 60s gears are, a standard G Body gear would still be an upgrade. ;)

I'm more concerned they sent me a CW rotation pump. Anyone know how to check?

8EBACD57-EC58-4C6F-A18B-7C7D52D3DD25.jpeg

Mine has an A/C delete bracket from Champion, and is running the routing per the installation photo.

IMG_6094_zpsqgftqctm.jpg

Take off the belt and pressure line from the pump. Turn it by hand. Fluid should flow from pressure port when turned the propper way. That will tell you if they boxed it wrong.

So this is interesting... I just went to my Rock Auto previous orders and found the pump order (Lares p/n 2309). I was prepping myself for a possible warranty return on the pump.

Anyway, when I clicked on the "INFO" button for that part, there were a couple of hot links - One was installation instructions, one was flushing and bleeding instructions, and one was... How To Free A Stuck Pressure Valve. Hmmm.

According to that document, and a reference made within the "stuck" procedure to the Lares' Bleeding Instructions, you have to make sure the pump is bled by turning the engine over, but the car must not be running. So apparently the car running (high pump speed) may/will trap an air bubble, which causes the pressure valve to get stuck.

on a duh note ...did you remove the plug from the return port on the pump ..they pop a plug into it thats really easy to miss and the return hose slides right on with it there ,,if you didnt remove it it wont get fluid and you wont have power steering

Did a little troubleshooting today. It appears to me that the pump is pumping CW instead of CCW. take a look at the linked video - the fluid level looks like it rises when I turn the pulley clockwise, and fall when I turn it counter-clockwise. Thanks for the heads up on the procedure, No disintegrations.

Steering Pump Video

Is that visible in the video?

Yes, it's visible in the video, forget rock auto buy it local, car quest or Napa, that way it's same day replacement if necessary. Also, it helps keep money and jobs locally, my local napa liked the fact that I told them I could get a part cheaper on the internet, but wanted to keep my money local, not only did they match the internet price, they gave me a 20% discount on top of that.

Well, new pump installed, but unfortunately same symptoms. I’ll have to take a harder look at the pressure line I guess. That part is original, but the routing in my application may be causing a kink or restriction.

I can’t imagine it’s the gear?

While it was apart (swapping pump) did you check the lines to insure that’s not your blockage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Tim_D,

I've got a gently used GM PS reservoir (not off a GN, but off another GM vehicle).

$35 + shipping

Attachments

• GM PS Reservoir4.JPG
    GM PS Reservoir4.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 53
  • GM PS Reservoit3.JPG
    GM PS Reservoit3.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 44
  • GM PS Reservoit2.JPG
    GM PS Reservoit2.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 54
  • GM PS Reservoir1.JPG
    GM PS Reservoir1.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 48
I am at my wits end.

1. I've verified the lines aren't blocked (they are new).
2. I am on my second pump (I warrantied the first one).
3. I vacuum bled the system through the reservoir.
4. The only thing I haven't checked is the (new rebuilt) gear, but again, I can't imagine this is bad.
5. Reservoir is cleared and not restricted/blocked.

When I look into the reservoir when the car is running, it does not appear to have fluid circulation. And when I turn the wheels lock-to-lock, the level in the reservoir goes up in one direction, and down in the other. Sure seems like there is an issue with the pump based on these symptoms..

Can anybody suggest some tests I can run without a specialized pressure gauge? And that won't create a huge mess and cause me to lose all my fluid (AGAIN)?