NOS bumper fillers

TURBOTIMMER

Anybody have any idea on how long a set of NOS fillers will last after being painted base/clear? These were one of the last batches that were available thru GM in the mid 2000s.

Since you said "anyone", I'll reply.

If you are going to keep them in the box and in the exact same position, they should last another 10-20 years. However, If you plan on installing them, My guess would now be 3 weeks to 8 years until they crumble.

Hope this helps. :)

Mike B.

Last edited:
Since you said "anyone", I'll reply.

They have been sitting in the same position for most all that time. By installing them, you are going to change that position (to say the least). If I were a betting man and based on what I've seen, I'd say 3 weeks to 8 years until they crumble.

Hope this helps. :)

Mike B.
Good answer, Mike!!! I’ve been sitting on these for a long time, and my originals only shine for about a day after I wipe the hell out of them. I hope I can get a few years out of these.

I changed my answer about three times. :D
Once they start to haze up, they seem to crumble within a few weeks to a couple years if you're careful.

When you wipe them and the haze is back within hours, they are about to let go.

My crappy and uneducated theory is that since urethane paint is a solid and nothing like lacquer, it might actually seal in whatever is coming out of the fillers to cause them to dry rott and crumble. My old 86 t type winter beater had the original fillers on it, but the car was repainted in single stage urethane years ago. Those fillers were still very flexible and showed no signs of cracking, and that car was never garage kept.

In the early 2000's I purchased a brand new set of oem fronts to go with a flawless set of used rears that I had been saving. Paint and Body was my occupation so they were prepped and painted by the book with two stage and flex agent. They were then wrapped, boxed and stored on a shelf in my home garage.

Very close to 10 years later when unboxing them for installation all 4 fillers began to crumble in my hands. Wasn't too surprised about the used rears but the front had zero exposure to the sun.

I would suspect that even the very low mileage pristine cars that are stored away in environment control are going to eventually suffer the same fate.

The fillers on my car are NOS. The rears are from when the car was rearended in 1999 and the fronts are from when I did a frame off in 2006. Still hanging in there.

Rob, am I a complete idiot for thinking that non lacquer paint might help preserve them? I was hoping you would chime in, being a body guy.

The fillers on my cadillac were mint original back in 2001 when the car was painted in base/clear. Within the last 2 years of storage, they shattered. The car has barely seen sun in 17 years.

Ok so, I guess I’m just rolling the dice. They should be painted this week. Just took em out of the plastic GM wrappers.

I guess one way you could check them is to find a inconspicuous area to fold them over a bit to see how pliable they are.

The fronts on my car were purchased around 07 or so and they are nos. Haven't even given it a thought. They look fine

But you still can't go wrong with Mike's bumper fillers...they are the best on the market and he stands by his product religiously.......they are just about perfect. No, let me rephrase that: The ARE perfect.

Bruce '87 Grand National