You can type here any text you want

Oil Drainback Holes.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cheeseburger

Is It Nessessary To Drill 4 Center Drainback Holes On A Stage II Block Lifter Valley With A Wet Sump System?
Standard Procedure As Per Buick Power Source Book?
Thank You.

You need some way of returning the oil that accumulates in the valley back to the oil pan. You don't want to have the oil build up there and suck the pan dry. At very least one hole in the rear of the block should be drilled.

I drilled all the holes recommended in the book in my block (016 S2)

If this were a dry sump engine, you could use one scavenge stage to pull oil from this area.

Hi Dave, i already have the front and rear holes.....inquiring about the 4 center holes that are mentioned in the book.

All the Stage engines around here only use the Front and rear holes. pretty decent sucess

Ran mine for a few years with just the two holes. Last time I had it apart I went ahead and drilled the holes per the power source book. I figure a little extra oil on the cam shaft would help. I had roller cam bearings so I was not getting the regular splash oil out of the cam bearing you normally would get. Since I street drove the car and had almost 800 pounds open on the valvesprings I wanted the roller lifters lubed well. I wouldn't tear down a motor that didn't have them, but no reason not to put them in if you have the chance on a wet sump motor.

Greg Kring
ex stageII owner
back into musclecars, they actually appreciate in value!

Ran mine for a few years with just the two holes. Last time I had it apart I went ahead and drilled the holes per the power source book. I figure a little extra oil on the cam shaft would help. I had roller cam bearings so I was not getting the regular splash oil out of the cam bearing you normally would get. Since I street drove the car and had almost 800 pounds open on the valvesprings I wanted the roller lifters lubed well. I wouldn't tear down a motor that didn't have them, but no reason not to put them in if you have the chance on a wet sump motor.

Greg Kring
ex stageII owner
back into musclecars, they actually appreciate in value!

Thanks for the reply, i am also running roller cam bearings.

Just curious, I notice the mention of scavenging oil from the lifter valley. I would like to locate a fitting with a screen that can pul from the lifter valley and wondering if anyone knows of a vendor or manufacturer who sells this part.

Back