Oil pump clearance / shim kit

Drewster

Wish I Had A Clone. AKA Andrew Youlio
Can you use the TA oil pump shims only without a gasket? I have 0.0 clearance without a gasket and was planning on using a shim alone. Will I wind up with leaks without a gasket?
Thinnest gasket is .005 and target is .002-.003. May need to go with .005 clearance if I have to use gasket or get machine work done
Any experience with shims alone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like to shoot for 0.001- 0.0015 end clearance. Verify the gears: They tend to have high spots which throw off the end play measurement. Lap them, and deburr/ lightly bevel the ends of the gears on both sides. This will greatly minimize scoring of the pump cover and pocket. Measure the gears to ensure they are the same height. Also test the drive gear to make sure the press fit is solid.

You will also find that the cover isn't flat. This can be lapped or get a pump plate from Bison. That way you are certain the surface is flat.

Hope that helps.

Already smooth out the pump cover on some glass
I have a TA timing cover.
The gears are flush with Timing cover so whatever I seal the pump cover with will be my clearance.
Just wondering if the shims are good to use by themselves.
I can call Nick during the week but have time on my hands this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

End play on the oil pump gears is not critical, and affects oil pressure very little.

The clearance you have no control over is the side clearance of the gears in the pocket.

When I worked helping Mike in his garage years ago doing V-8 engines, we assembled many oil pumps. The clearance we set using gaskets/shims was fine at .005"-007".

Recent years he has machined V-6 timing covers with many improvements over the stock unit. The most critical area when CNC machining the cover is the side wall clearance.

The clearances are much tighter and consistent in the pocket of stock and aftermarket covers which is the one of the reasons the TA timing cover will always generate more pressure and flow than other covers.

Having done many V-6 engines for myself and others with a TA cover, they usually start with cold pressure 70-80 psi, and 40-50 when warm.

Yes you can just use the shims with no gasket and it doesn't leak.
I do this on my 350

I wouldn't trust those plastic shims in my lawn mower.

I'd spend the extra time to do it right to use an actual gasket and be done with it the first time.