oil pump clearance

gsbuick65

ok im checking the clearance on these gears on this car I got that has low oil pressure. its got a aftermarket timing cover on it, i laid a straight edge across the gears and theyre .005 in the hole, the gasket i pulled off is .006 used. isnt that to much clearance?

Are you sure your measuring them correctly ? I have not seen that before ("in the hole").

Should either be flat of out some.

Could be that way and would explain your low oil pressure if someone made them that way.

If a past mechanic made them that way, it is time to throw them in the garbage and get new.

looks like a new cover, its got Timing chain cover on it, so im sure its Chinese. yea i put a edge from a square across the cover, you could still spin the idle gear, i got a .005 feeler gauge to fit smooth.

Oh a Chinese cover. It measurement could be anywhere then. If the gears look to be modified, then replace them.

looks like a new cover, its got Timing chain cover on it, so im sure its Chinese. yea i put a edge from a square across the cover, you could still spin the idle gear, i got a .005 feeler gauge to fit smooth.

Any cover that isn't OEM GM and thirty years old is Chinese. Period. So lets get past place of manufacture and deal with the product.

The castings are all the same. The difference is in the finish machine work. The biggest issue is the distributor bore and oil pump gear bore often aren't lined up. You can tell by looking inside the pump. The gears will clear on one side, and you'll see wear marks where they've contacted the pump cavity on the other side. The misalignment between the distributor/cam sensor shaft and the oil pump gear drive side loads the gears and you'll see witness marks in the pump housing. If you see that, throw the cover away. It's junk.

If that's not the case, then check your clearances. Put a fresh set of gears in it, slide the cam sensor into it, and check the side clearance all the way around. At least four spots, more if you have time. If it's not within spec everywhere, throw it out. Then you have bottom clearance between the gears and the thrust plate. You completely control this one with the gasket thickness. If the side clearances are acceptable, the thrust clearance can be dealt with. Do as appropriate.

There are plenty of Chinese castings that are machined within spec and will be fine. You just have to measure.

I have not had to use an aftermarket cover, but when the day comes...
Anybody have a method to check alignment and engagement with respect to the cam gear that drives the pump? Or has anybody ever had a problem with this? Don't know if that has been an issue or not.

If i was buying an aftermarket timing cover I would use TA performance. They machine their covers in house.

Last note, it is fairly easy to use a piece of glass and lap the surface that pump cover bolts too if necessary to reduce the gear face to cover clearance if you cannot find a gasket thin enough. The aluminum comes off quick, so care must be taken. TA also sells a shim kit.

I have not had to use an aftermarket cover, but when the day comes...
Anybody have a method to check alignment and engagement with respect to the cam gear that drives the pump? Or has anybody ever had a problem with this? Don't know if that has been an issue or not.

If i was buying an aftermarket timing cover I would use TA performance. They machine their covers in house.

Last note, it is fairly easy to use a piece of glass and lap the surface that pump cover bolts too if necessary to reduce the gear face to cover clearance if you cannot find a gasket thin enough. The aluminum comes off quick, so care must be taken. TA also sells a shim kit.
i didnt think it would be to easy to cut it down even without a machine