older translator ?

haywire4130

hello all: i'm trying to track down a mild part-half throttle stumbling/transitional knock problem just as it transitions from vac to boost and until the alky starts spraying (about 7psi-ish) it has plagued my car since i've had it. i bought the car with a lot of mods (and blown head gaskets to match). i originally suspected the chip was a race chip and not an alky one but i'm leaning toward a maf/translator problem. i opened the translator today for the first time to check that the dip switches were set correctly. there were no dip switches, the base knob is set at 3 and the wot knob is at zero. on the circuit board it said version 1.1 and on the decal inside the lid it said 2.2. i read the alky tuning sticky a few times and it mentions potential problems with older translators and possible interference with alky spraying (i'm assuming from the pump). is there any way to upgrade my existing unit or should i get a new one. also, i have had issues (long story) with my current maf (3" lt1) and was considering a new 3.5" ls1, is the older translator compatible with a ls1 maf? apoligies for the paragraph!

No DIP switches?? Are you sure?? I never heard of one without them.

I've attached the translator instructions, take a look at page 2 of the instructions, it shows the dip switches.

Attachments

• translatorinstructions.pdf
    632.3 KB · Views: 389
Yep, i was just as suprised as you, i had already downloaded the instructions and was expecting to see switches. The oldest instruction manual i could turn up online didnt show them either, and it said something to the effect of : base knob was used to tell the box which maf youre using, and wot was to control the curve. I guess i need bob bailey to chime in on this thread, i read on the alky tuning sticky that you could send an old translator to him for an upgrade? If not, i guess i have no problem parting with the money for a new one if they're better than the one im currently using.

FWIW, I had a similar problem.... regular translator.... and Razor's alky kit...... supposedly there is interference coming from the controller that messes with the translator...... workaround was to "hot-wire" the translator. I wired up a relay on the drivers side fender and spliced it into the hot wire going to the translator......had to make one cut..... then run a hot off the back of the alternator to feed the relay.... then out of the relay to the translator side of the cut you just made. You use the other side of the cut you just made to feed the solenoid side of the relay. Then just ground the other side of the solenoid in the relay.

Piece of cake.

PM Julio and he can explain better.

with no dip switches, that unit is OLD OLD OLD.

there are no software updates that work with that version.

What MAF, and what settings in the box?

What are your BLM's? idle and cruise.

what kind of chip?

Bob

with no dip switches, that unit is OLD OLD OLD.

there are no software updates that work with that version.

What MAF, and what settings in the box?

What are your BLM's? idle and cruise.

what kind of chip?

Bob

Hahahaha i figured as much... Im running an equally old turbotweak chip, i think im gonna get the latest translator and the newest version chip so i know for sure what i have. Question: is the latest version translator compatible with the maf from a lq4 6 liter ls truck engine? Part number is 25168491. I can get a new one in box for free, that would take some sting out of the translator/chip purchase. While im at it i'm planning on tigging up a 3.5" maf pipe and plumbing it to draw from under the front drivers side. Is there an ideal location for the maf, since im making it from scratch (i.e. Right on the newly relocated filter, or leave it closer to the turbo?) Thanks for your help!

That MAF (25168491) will work. It's known as the 85mm MAF and has it's own setting inside the Translator box. However, you need a special adapter wire to connect it to the Translator (I have those in stock, as well as the Translator).

It will most likely work ok in either location you mentioned, but sometimes you have to experiment to see what makes the car run the best.

Regards,
Eric

Thanks for the reply! I will order up the stuff after the holiday. Whats the best way to place the order, call or email? Also, can you do a.package for a chip/translator/powerlogger? Last question: i lurk on this site more than i care to admit and try to absorb as much as possible. It seems the consensus is to make adjustments in the chip rather than with the translator. Why is this? I was toying with the idea of a gen2 translator but based on the above im not sure which way to go. Thanks again-