You can type here any text you want

Opinions needed on timing chain project.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nighttrain

Okay guys, I need as much advice as possible. I have been talking about doing my major timing chain project for a while, and since I have a week off coming up I think I am finally going to do it. However, I am a total rookie at this stuff and I have done a lot of research on this and other sites about what I will need to do this job, ie) stuff I might as well replace since I'm opening up that much. Here is the complete list as far as I've been able to find out:
-timing chain (already have)
-water pump (already have)
-water pump gasket
-oil pickup? (someone said you might just clean the old one)
-oil pan gasket
-rear main seal (mine is leaking and suggested doing this since oil pan off)
-lower rad hose
-crank sensor
-cam sensor
-front cover
-front cover gasket
-oil pump
-oil pump cover gasket
-cam button
-cam thrust bearing
-2 cam bolts?
-teflon thread sealer
-permatex
-carb cleaner (to clean the intercooler while it is off)

As you can see, so far I just have some of the basics, but was about to order the rest of this stuff. Are there any items that you guys think I shouldn't bother with (if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of thing)? On the other side, are there any things I am missing? I certainly don't want it all apart and realize I need something that I have to order, as this is a daily driver, which is why I'm waiting for a week off when I don't need to drive it for a few days. Also, I was thinking of trying to take my time and carefully tackle this myself, I don't have an impact wrench or compressed air, but I am told I can get by without it? Also, are there any special tools that I am going to need? Of course any advice other than this would be appreciated. Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate your input.

Peter

Kudos to ya Peter for going after it yourself!!

Hopefully you got the steel timing gear set and not the roller chain.

I would say you can reuse your front cover and probably oil pump. Once it's off the engine, take it Ken Bodhaine to have it ported and cleaned-up. This will greatly improve your oil pressure, especially on your higher mileage GN.

Cam shaft button – preferred is roller thrust bumper from NAPA or Action Auto
Cam shaft button spring – comes with the roller thrust bumper
Dampener (tensioner assy) – GM 25532546
Chain guide – GM 1358909 (spring for dampener)

Oil pickup simply clean it and reuse.

In addition, flush radiator and use RMI-25 additive with the fresh coolant and water mixture. Oil filter and oil change.

Hardest part for me was getting the harmonic balancer nut off >200 ft-lbs and resetting the cam sensor.

Fairly big job, but rewarding when finished. Be sure to give us a call if you get stuck or need help. I know I sure asked for a lot of while numerous times while in the middle of that project.

Good luck!

Hey dude, what's wrong with a Roller Chain?

Duuuuuuude. Hey Bud what's your problem:rolleyes: ;)

Some guys have had problems with the roller, some haven't. Check archives to learn the history. Not blowing you off, just a lot of info out there already on this subject.

Peter,

One thing to consider before you dive in is since You'll be leaning over the front end and fenders, you want to lay a quick coat of wax down to prevent any scratches.

When I started doing my "work in progress" cam swap I did this
and glad I did. Only down side is the towels and blankets keep sliding off.

Mike

Originally posted by TurboSlacker
Duuuuuuude. Hey Bud what's your problem:rolleyes: ;)

Some guys have had problems with the roller, some haven't. Check archives to learn the history. Not blowing you off, just a lot of info out there already on this subject.

Haha, I've done reading on this subject in the past. However, due to multiple opinions and expeirences I came to the conclusion to flip a coin. Heads roller, tails stock.

We'll see, havn't started it up but it looks pretty good for this week.

Thx. Jason

Back