paging gofstbuick please

jiho2

Sporadic Poster
Just for the record .... Is it considered smog legal, for an 84/85 motor in California, to replace the 84/85 ignition control module with the 86/87 version? This involves rearranging some of the wires in the harness connector, but is otherwise functionally equivalent. So does this require a manufacturer's statement that it's a replacement part, or an EO number, or nothing at all?

Thanks.

Well now, gofstbuick -- licensed smog tech in California for many moons, and knowing these cars too -- showing no interest in this question whatsoever should tell us something about the situation.

I really would like to know, though, because I'm curious about the *theoretical* status of the supposed O'Reilly part mentioned in my other thread here.

Find the right tech and for the right price a top fuel engine could be legal. You want the lawyer answer, for the record? Short of an EO, assume any part not original to the car is illegal. The module is a straight drop in? These cars can have any number of motors drop in - don't make it legal. But some parts aren't available anymore, you say - think California gives a rat's ass? They want you in a Prius or a Volt, don't expect too much sympathy.

I understand your cynicism. But you and I can spout off until we're blue in the exhaust. I was looking for a more authoritative statement. :D

I've started looking at this from a practical point of view. There are limits to what a tech can be expected to even look at, where he has no way to ID the parts. They aren't supposed to take anything apart, after all. Many of the rules are aimed at vendors and shops.

Then we have confusion about some very visible and obvious parts. On air cleaners, for example, the online "Replacement Parts Guidelines" say:
Most emission controlled vehicles will have an air cleaner that is a closed element type or thermostatically controlled. A replacement air cleaner must meet the same specifications as the original and connect to any emissions equipment that was attached to the original equipment air cleaner. Any replacement air cleaner elements may be used as long as they meet original factory specifications. Any air cleaner that does not meet the original factory specifications requires an Executive Order to be legal for street use.

These cars came with a "closed element type," but it was not thermostatically controlled and had no emissions equipment attached to it, other than the MAF in the air tube. So, does that mean we must have the original air cleaner box in place? After reading the online "Guidelines" you'd think so, but in practice an open element "cone" filter causes no trouble.

How can this be? Turns out there's a Smog Check Reference Guide, with an Appendix G, "Aftermarket Parts Verification Guidelines," which says:
Air Cleaner / Assembly - 1995 model-year and older without Thermostatic Air Cleaner. Changes are acceptable provided all required emission controls are connected and appear functioning.

So that explains why open element "cone" filters are fine for these cars.

About the ignition system....
Ignition System Modification - Performance distributors, control modifications, etc.

....for that there's a check mark under "Requires Verification of EO During Inspection."

But is this a "control modification," or even an "etc."? Being pessimistic we might assume so by default, but we might be wrong in this case.

California sucks because of their NAZI EPA regulations among many other ridiculous laws.

I honestly don't know how people can live there with all the retarded regulations.

I wonder that a lot, and I was born in Los Angeles, so I have no problem with the effort to control pollution.

It seems like such a classic case. You have so many complicated rules, so badly explained, and many of them aren't even enforceable.

At one point there was an idea to use roadside detectors, and send polluting cars caught by the detectors to state-run stations. They even ran a pilot program. But of course the idea got nowhere because it would put hordes of smog techs out of work.

According to what I've read, the smog in LA now is less than half what it was in the mid-70s, with over twice as many cars in the area. But I really wouldn't know, since I fled LA (because of the smog) in 1982. Too bad I didn't make it completely out of the state. :arghh:

Last edited:
Have you heard about the water saving toilet? The one you have to flush several times?

I don't know how to address ignition swap question. I can ask a friend at ARB if you leave pm contact info. Sorry, away from board a while. And was a little pre-occupied with another controversial California issue other than smog check, guns! go figure.

Last edited: