Possible tps issue?

We4ever

My 87 T-type has begun hesitating at 50-100% throttle. Engine revs, boost builds to 11% according to aftermarket gauge. Car will not accelerate unless you let off again. Ive tried the usual suspects, fuel pump, filter, plugs and wires. Car idles fine, if you just putt around town car runs great. While testing the tps today i noticed two positions, roughly 50% and 75% throttle, that the multi meter reads OL. I think this implies the tps is broke, could it be the cause of the loss of power at high throttle?

****Yup. Easy enough to replace. There's a lot of other stuff it could be as well, but the TPS is an easy install, and cheaper than a bad MAF, or crank position sensor issue, Coil pack, ignition module, etc...

Hopefully, it's that easy. Mind you, for me, any problem I ever have seems to be all of the above going bad, intermittantly, only at a certain hour, and only when it's a holiday and auto stores are closed, and my internet is down.

Dunno why...

I already replaced the MAF, it threw a check engine light. Allso i forgot to mention my readings on the tps are .44 to 3.65 at maximum adjustment. This seems a bit low.

Got an autozone part on order for diagnostic purposes. Should know tomorrow if its the culprit

tps was fine, trans cable was so tight throttle couldnt open up all the way.... THe problem persists however, car hesitates under load 10psi boost, have to let off the gas to make car run normal again.

also i should point out this hesitation started at freeway speed, then at 50-60, then my maf took a dump, i replaced the maf and then it started happening 40-50mph.

Was stock until it died last week, now using autozone part. it’s a weird shape, has an hourglass profile.

I think you found the problem.
Stock replacement MAFs are notoriously faulty. The one you are described doesn’t even sound like a correct stock replacement.
Replace it with a LT1 or LS1 MAF and a Translator box.

How sure are ya? Thats alot of money

If you own a scanmaster post the values for MAF, BLM, etc at warm idle. That would be very helpful in diagnosing you issue.
Replacement stock MAF sensors are remanufactured and most are not calibrated correctly.
Yes, the Translator and LS1 or LT1 are not cheap. However, it is WAY better than the re-manufactured stock MAFs. Several vendors on this forum carry the Translator and the sensors.

Dont have a scanmaster, have owned and driven the car for 8 years and never had to fix anything until now. I can try sellin one of my guns, that would cover the maf, translator, and scanmaster. Car has 80,000 original miles on it and has been remarkably reliable. Ive even daily drove the thing.

A scan master is a very important tool with these cars . Instead of shooting from the hip and guessing on what parts to buy and swap out hoping to fix some issue . You would have data to determine if your tps was functioning correctly or if your MAF was going out ect. I believe that should be the first thing anyone buys for there turbo buick

Ok i'll get one, but i fear the possession of such a device will lead to the end of my cars stock condition. All parts replaced while dealing with this issue were 32 years old and deserved it, I regret nothing.