Power distribution block for IGN 12v accessories

TireFryer

The New Kid
Just got done installing this power distribution block on the back of the glove box. It provides easy access, out of sight, yet easy to add/remove accessories. Keep hearing about people running out of spaces for IGN 12v on the DS fuse box, so this is my solution. This block can provide 12v IGN power to 12 accessories/gauges/SM/..., each with their own dedicated fuse.
I used the Pico 0951C fuse block tap with pigtail for the IGN 12v power. It had a little piece I had to trim to fit since I could not locate Pico 0952C tap, which fits without any trimming.
So far, I have only attached the SM to it, but as gauges and WB get added on over the winter, I'll post additional pics and info which may be of help to others. I'm sure, this is not the perfect solution, but it seems logical and is working.

Attachments

• 20181230_171311.jpg
    20181230_171311.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 271
  • SmartSelect_20181230-175237_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20181230-175237_Chrome.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 220
I put one in my engine bay, and instead of a common ground, I used the ground side as a switched +12v source panel and the other +12v is always on direct to battery for relays and such.

I have a feeling you could overload that IGN 12v and blow a fuse on the fuse block. I would wire/fuse it to the battery and use a relay to make it switched. just my opinion..

Hmmmm - can you spell it out for me in terms of what relay to use, how to wire it and all that since I would love to set it up in this manner!

Hmmmm - can you spell it out for me in terms of what relay to use, how to wire it and all that since I would love to set it up in this manner!
if you only want power to the panel when the ignition is on then run a wire from the IGN terminal on the stock fuse panel to the coil of the relay and ground the other side of the coil. Then run a wire from the battery to the NO contact on the relay and a wire from the other side of the NO contact to your new power distribution block.

So IGN wire to 86 Ground to 85 Battery power to 30 and distribution block to 87. Make sure you get a relay rated for the load it will cary. Also you need to make sure the wire from the battery is capable of carying the load.

Attachments

• driving-light-relay-wiring-diagram-collection-for-alluring.jpg
    driving-light-relay-wiring-diagram-collection-for-alluring.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 44
The 12v ign is unfused. They are meant for low amp additions. A Scanmaster and a few gauges should be fine. Probably 10 amps would be the max for whole distribution block if powered from there.

So IGN wire to 86 Ground to 85 Battery power to 30 and distribution block to 87. Make sure you get a relay rated for the load it will cary. Also you need to make sure the wire from the battery is capable of carying the load.
Perfect! Looks like time to update my setup

The 12v ign is unfused. They are meant for low amp additions. A Scanmaster and a few gauges should be fine. Probably 10 amps would be the max for whole distribution block if powered from there.
It's meant for SM and probably 6 gauges, so I think it should be fine. However, I'll update to use the relay so it's a fused connection.

The three IGN 1 taps are on the ST BLT/ACC 20 amp fuse.

The single IGN 3 tap is on the AC 25 amp fuse.

Note that the BAT taps are also fused.

RemoveBeforeFlight

It's always beneficial to remove added electrical load from the stock fuse panel/circuits. We fight enough to keep voltage readings consistent to feed injectors, ignition and ECU. Anything we can do to remove electrical load and make is easier to add systems with clean power is a plus.

I have been running this for about 3 years and it's working very well. Thanks to @RmvBfrFlght for consistency in communicating factual info.

Attachments

• 2015-12-15 10.53.19.jpg
    2015-12-15 10.53.19.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 62
The three IGN 1 taps are on the ST BLT/ACC 20 amp fuse.

The single IGN 3 tap is on the AC 25 amp fuse.

Note that the BAT taps are also fused.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Excellent info, I didn't know that.