Power seats wiring question

slipstick

My '87 GN does not have power seats. I am wondering if the wiring harness for the power seat motors is installed and located under the drivers seat? I could remove the door sill cover, carpet and/or seat to find the answer to my question, but it is easier to ask this forum. If the wires are there, I would like to use them as the power source for an invertor for my DirectScan computer and LM-1. Again, can I expect to find power seat wiring harness under the carpet of my driver's seat?

My LTD did & as far as I know a GM Harness was a GM harness. They were all the same so its likely in there. Actually, just look under the front seat about mid way & you should feel it under the carpet or even sticking out a bit.

My '87 GN does not have power seats. I am wondering if the wiring harness for the power seat motors is installed and located under the drivers seat? I could remove the door sill cover, carpet and/or seat to find the answer to my question, but it is easier to ask this forum. If the wires are there, I would like to use them as the power source for an invertor for my DirectScan computer and LM-1. Again, can I expect to find power seat wiring harness under the carpet of my driver's seat?

The harness is part of the power seat tracks. The only thing that runs under the rug, in a GN is the power source. I doubt that it's there in a non-power seat Regal, but all you have to do is run a hot wire under the carpet from the fuse panel to power the seat tracks.

Attachments

• MAROON T-TYPE 058.jpg
    MAROON T-TYPE 058.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 156
  • MAROON T-TYPE 062.jpg
    MAROON T-TYPE 062.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 164
Just a Six
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I have looked and felt under the seat. There is a hole in the carpet which appears to be access for the harness wires to protrude from under the carpet. But, no visible wires and I could not feel wires through the hole. Has anyone else found power seat wires in a non-power seat option 87 GN?

Just a Six
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I have looked and felt under the seat. There is a hole in the carpet which appears to be access for the harness wires to protrude from under the carpet. But, no visible wires and I could not feel wires through the hole. Has anyone else found power seat wires in a non-power seat option 87 GN?

Why does it matter if the "harness" only consists of a hot wire and a ground? :confused:

It's a hit or miss. If it was me I'd pull off the sill plate and peek under the carpet. It's hard to find the wire by playing third base because it probably isn't any where near the hole to begin with. If you have access to a decent U-Pull-It you can find a factory harness there. It doesn't have to be from a G-Body. I've used them off the B/C/D-Body full size cars. Just make sure the donor car has the seat switch mounted to the seat and not mounted on the armrest of the door. Look in the FSM for the correct placement of the plug into the power source block.

IIRC the general consensus is that you most likely have the power seat harness if your GN has power windows and locks.

My '87 GN does not have power seats. I am wondering if the wiring harness for the power seat motors is installed and located under the drivers seat? Again, can I expect to find power seat wiring harness under the carpet of my driver's seat?

I don't want to break up the fun here, but the answer is definitely NO. :frown: I know by experience that if your car wasn't equipped with the power seat from the factory, unfortunately the power wire (orange) running under the carpet all the way under the dash is NOT there. I had to get an original wire from GBodyParts.com Online so that my power seat appears correctly "factory installed" all the way, down to the wiring... :wink:

Claude.

ditto. my we4 did not have a power seat. i just installed one. luckily i got the factory power wire that goes to the junction block under the dash along with the seat track. otherwise there was no power seat wiring all ready there.

Thanks for the informative replies. I have removed the sill plate and found only a black wire going to the seat belt (I assume). Today, I was going to open the black plastic sheath and look for the seat power wires - now I won't bother.

Yeah if you cant see a Orange 10 gauge wire running through the conduit along the rocker than it aint there.