powermaster trouble

RBruton

getagrip
History of problem, started leaking out of the top of the reservoir, I have not put any brake fluid in it and it had never leaked before. I removed the fluid in the reservoir after making sure the system was depressurized, replaced with clean fluid and was sure not to overfill. Now the electric motor runs & won't shut off. I read about a condition called air lock and tried to fix it by allowing a gravity feed from the reservoir after removing a specific line from the master cylinder. It did not fix the problem, I was never able to get any fluid to drain as gravity feed from the reservoir. The fluid is very dirty and I'm afraid the internals might be in bad shape. Everything was working great, only had the car for about 3-4 weeks. Any suggestions?

I don't have any suggestions but today my powermaster started making this whining noise every time I brake. If this thing craps out I'am changing to a vaccum set up.

Burnout

I have done alot of research for the last couple of weeks and if the information I have gotten off this site pans out, I'm gonna stay with the same set up. I am confirming with Auto Zone and O'Reillys their re-manufactured units which is supposed to be the complete unit(Auto Zones is around $150 & O'Reillys is about $250.00). I have considered vacuum but would like to keep the car original and I have read of some problems with the vacuum. The units come with a limited lifetime warranty and curiously have the same part number which is 52-9702. If this doesn't work out then the unit can be rebuilt with a $40 kit and another $150 for the a new pump/motor but they require a new pressure switch to warrant the pump/motor. If the cost gets to great then I guess I will go vacuum too for bout $125.00 or so.

I just bought the Autozone rebuilt unit. I needed only the accumulator and bought it becasue it cost the same for the whole unit as getting just the accumulator. The rebuilt unit comes with a large syringe with a rubber stopper to power prime the unit. The whole thing comes with just a small amount of fluid in it. The stuff really stinks for some reason too unlike normal brake fluid. They tell you to power the unit up and use the syringe to force fluid down the front most orifice on the booster side of the reservoir. It should work well although I haven't done it since I didn't actually swap units. Also make sure the motor is never allowed to run for more than 20 seconds without cooling down. This is from the GM manual.

I appreciate the info. BJM, I took the leap today and ordered it. I was never able to confirm with Auto Zone or O'Reillys what all was included but based on what I was able to find on the message boards and your comment s confirms I made the right decision. For the price if I could afford it and wouldn't have to worry about seals going bad, I'd put one on the shelf for next time if nothing else to have a spare accumulator & pressure switch.

I had the same problem with trying to figure out exactly what came with the system. The Autozone guy told me it was a complete remanufactured system, so I bought it. Its great to think I have anentire spare system on the shelf.

The one I don't get is Autozone has another number for 3 times the money and it says it comes without the master cylinder, well what would a power master without a master cylinder look like. I wonder if anyone has ever bought that one?

Thats what kept throwing the doubt into the decision process, I was figuring it had to be the more expensive unit since they were so expensive elsewhere but I knew that this thing has a master cylinder and I'm thinking thats where most of my problem may be due to dirt & who knows what else. I might consider keeping what I have on it if I can determine whats good and whats bad, the rebuild kit for the master cylinder is only $38(just a thought).