Precision Ta-58 vs Billet 59?

V6-Sauce

Just curious to know which one is the better upgrade from Stock with meth around 20-22psi of boost & chip/ Better spool up with the buick stock garrett housing? I remember somebody saying before a billet 59 will spool quicker than ta-49 but not necessarily quicker than stock

Last edited:
At that boost level, hard to tell. On a stock long block - TA-49/TE-44 hard to beat for what you are asking. If comparing a PT 5858 to one of Bison's billet 59s, I would ask Bison what he thinks. IMO opinion and limited knowledge, I would think the difference would come down to the exhaust wheel. The precision 58 exhaust wheel seems to do pretty good. My last day at the track this year, a gent running a Bison TA-49, stock long block/converter, precision SLIC, with XFI, Alky, and a Bison tune was running 11.45@115. Pretty freakin good. Better than I was able to get with my TE-44.

I run a older 5857 billet.It has all was spooled better than the stock,even with stock long block,and convert .It really came alive after I turned the boost above 22lb.
Im no tuner and it took a good turbo, TT chip with 49 ib injectors and Alky to get me into the low 12 ET.I added a 206 roller stage 1 trans and 2800 convertor went 11.87 then a newB mistake and I broke it.
I have not been to the track for two years (closed for repaving) with my new engine,very close build to Nigel's, I hope I can get a 11.5 ET
I know these billet turbos are big $$ ,it made a my car run really good with a novice tuner ,me.
If your not convinced new turbo tec works go drive a new 2 liter Subaru or Ford Eco boost.
P.S Nigel that's the fastest 5858 ET I have seen ,good job .

I run a older 5857 billet.It has all was spooled better than the stock,even with stock long block,and convert .It really came alive after I turned the boost above 22lb.
Im no tuner and it took a good turbo, TT chip with 49 ib injectors and Alky to get me into the low 12 ET.I added a 206 roller stage 1 trans and 2800 convertor went 11.87 then a newB mistake and I broke it.
I have not been to the track for two years (closed for repaving) with my new engine,very close build to Nigel's, I hope I can get a 11.5 ET
I know these billet turbos are big $$ ,it made a my car run really good with a novice tuner ,me.
If your not convinced new turbo tec works go drive a new 2 liter Subaru or Ford Eco boost.
P.S Nigel that's the fastest 5858 ET I have seen ,good job .

Thanks, the 5858 makes good power in the high 20s. Spool below 10 psi is a little slower than the 44, but after that it takes off. The 6.98 in the 1/8 run likely would have been an 11 flat in the 1/4. A good NLU converter would net me a little more as I was trapping at 5800 rpm. Pulling that down a couple hundred rpm with a tighter converter would be beneficial. The 3021 LU is a nice converter, but not as tight as a NLU up top.
Keep tuning, and seat time you will definitely get there.