Private label parts

Sal Lubrano

Looking on Rockauto for some random parts not specifically for our cars but for some beater. So many different private labels on new and rebuilt parts. Is there anyway to find out who is the supplier to these companies? Are all these private labels just Chinese junk? I would think some of these private labels are very well make products for much lower cost. Anyone have experience with private labels?

I buy a lot of stuff off rock auto(probably $150-200/month). The biggest prob for me is returning stuff. I figure it to be one way and if I don't like it or don't want to or cant use it I give it away, put it on the shelf or pitch it in the trash.

I usually stay with the known name brands, moog, denso, ac delco and such. I figure I get a good enough deal that I still save money if I'm not in a hurry for it.

I try to choose based off what type part as to what "level" part I buy from them. Basically the more critical the part the more likely I will buy the higher end stuff. Even with shipping it still usually comes out cheaper than the local chain store even if I buy the top end stuff. The only exception to this is anything with a big core charge. I'll pay a little more at the local place to keep from having to ship the core back. (I agree that mail returns are a pain.) The only problem I ever really had with a Rock Auto part was with a condenser that came in with a bent inlet tube. They sent me a replacement and told me to go ahead and keep the original one too so I guess I really can't complain about that one either.