Problem here...

Robbie_85GN

The car was just up on a lift yesterday and I noticed that the frame actually has some wear on it, caused by the parking brake cable...what could have caused this and what can I do to rectify it?

This must be one of the items that happens on a lot of cars. I just zip tied mine loosely on both cars so they would not rub the frame.

If it was rubbing in the back by the axle there is a little metal guide that keeps the cable from rubbing. It looks like it is made from a coat hangar and is shaped like the letter S, one end hooks into a hole on the frame and the other end wraps around the cable. They are discontinued so you will have to pull one off a junker. Also there is an Adell style clip that bolts the right side cable to the frame above the pinion on the axle. Eric Fisher

wear

A lot of the "wear" we saw at GM concerning the e-brake cable housing was basically rub wear from the low spring rate on the rear coils. Don't know if that is what you are seeing, but that is common and is easily rectified with a progressive rate spring installed on the rear end. Moog used to make a great product for this, and left the car setting at a factory height at the same time. When you have any weight at all in the back seat of the car it places that cable housing against the frame rail, or trailing arm and you get the bind that causes the wear. As the factory service manager told us, the engineers set the spring rates on the mid-sized cars based on a 165 pound driver and a 10 pound brief case. If you throw anything in the rear of the car, you are pretty much beyond design perameters.lol,,,,,,,,Mark:D

Oh man...lol...well...guess it's time for new shocks/springs...what do you guys run? And how do you like it on the street?