PS pump for hydro boost install

keisersoze

I installed a hydro boost setup last year. My ps pump is wining like crazy now. I’ve bled the system and checked all hoses and all seems good.
I’m thinking of replacing the pump. Does anybody know where I can purchase a new high flow ps pump preferably aluminum for my GN?

Send your PS pump in to either Turn One, or Sweet Mfg for an upgrade to modify increases output psi for HydroBoost . Also suggest getting a PSC power steering reservoir , after both of these your problem will be solved

If you “T” the return line switching the T so it goes straight to the Hydroboost pump might help and doesn’t cost anything. Also some people have ran the return line directly into the PS reservoir. Drill and tapped it in. Just because you hear a wining sound doesn’t mean you have a bad pump. Flow restriction causes the same noise.

Btw I just re read that it had been in your car for a year. I’m guessing it was working and no problems before hand and the car was driven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a stock PS pump from an 84 GN. Whined like crazy until I installed this. It has an extra return line and holds lots more fluid. No whine.

Attachments

• IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 235
Good Call captndave737,
the PSC (Performance Steering Components) PS reservoir is made specifically for HydroBoost systems and is the best reservoir for this set up (bar none). It will solve a lot of issues that many experience with this brake set up.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com

Here's a pic of how I mounted mine. A small piece of aluminum channel and contoured to fit the can.

Attachments

• PSC Reservoir installed3.JPG
    PSC Reservoir installed3.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 193
  • PSC Reservoir installed2.JPG
    PSC Reservoir installed2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 196
For those that have been around since the first I/C cars were intro'd…...Remember the recall for boiling p/s fluid?
I do. The dlr tech found a fix, while at a school, and added a full size car reservoir.
Noisy pump, oil spray on the inner fender, stink, all indicators.

I've been thinking about getting that in black for my hydroboost brakes. Any advice on which AN fittings I would need? Would it attach to the stock bracket?

The PSC reservoir comes with -10 AN adapter to feed the PS pump line, and two -6AN lines for hydro boost return line and power steering box return line.

I've attached mine to the stock bracket, just used a piece of aluminum angle contoured to fit around the can and drilled a couple of holes. Sent it out for black powder coating and "Voila"
I did re-drill some holes in the original bracket which brought it a little closer to the inner fender well....giving me adequate clearance to my AC lines.
Easy-Peasy....I'll post a couple of pics.

Attachments

• PSC Brkt9.JPG
    PSC Brkt9.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 132
  • PSC Brkt5.JPG
    PSC Brkt5.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 136
  • PSC Brkt6.JPG
    PSC Brkt6.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 133
  • PSC Brkt7.JPG
    PSC Brkt7.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 134
  • PSC Brkt8.JPG
    PSC Brkt8.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 142
  • PSC Brkt4.JPG
    PSC Brkt4.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 139
  • PSC Brkt3.JPG
    PSC Brkt3.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 138
  • PSC Brkt2.JPG
    PSC Brkt2.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 131
  • PSC Brkt1.JPG
    PSC Brkt1.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 116
1 more question...so I need to purchase separately 1 90 degree AN fitting and 2 straight AN fittings? Which ports do the AN fittings attach to? So we have 2 different size ports and 2 different angled AN fittings! Its a little hard to tell from the pictures...or maybe my eyes just aren't so good Thanks again 1Quicksix.

Ok, looking at the pic you posted a few comments back, it looks like the larger port (dash 10) on the far left attached to the 90 degree angle AN fitting and the two dash 6 ports attach to the straight AN fittings. Sound right to you? Now I just need to know if it matters which hose connects to which port?

I mounted my PSC reservoir with the AN fittings facing forward (front of car). Others have mounted with fittings facing the rear....your choice. However it's much easier to access fittings facing forward to tighten them rather then to access them facing the rear.
All fittings on the reservoir can be push fit as they are non pressure lines.
-10 AN gravity feeds the power steering pump...I used a -10AN 120 deg Push Fit , however you may get by with a 90degree, you will need a decent -10 push fit hose.
-6AN in the centre is the power steering box return line....I used a 45 degree out of steering box and connects to the reservoir with a straight connector
-6AN on the edge is for the HydroBoost return. I used a -6AN 180 deg fitting
Both the other -6 lines are high pressure and should be teflon lined stainless steel lines and fittings.
Specifically the power steering output to hydro boost and the hydro boost to power steering box feed.

Where did you T the return line to? I did a hydro boost swap on mine and keep reading about whiny pumps. The only time mine whines is while on the brake somewhat heavy and turning like when coming off the highway.
I also have a small cooler on the return side because I noticed before the hydro boost that the fluid gets scalding hot quickly.

With this reservoir, no tee line is needed as there is a dedicated port (-6AN) for the hydroBoost return line.
It also hold much more fluid than the stocker and has a replaceable Wix filter in the reservoir.

Attachments

• PSC Reservoir installed2.JPG
    PSC Reservoir installed2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 127
  • PSC.jpg
    PSC.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 117
Ordering my PSC today from Summit. Spoke to a local speed shop who is a dealer for Fragola fittings. He said he can fix me up.