Race seats. Poly or aluminum?

fuzzyGN

OK, now that we finally have some traffic in this forum, maybe we can get a good discussion of the pros and cons of the poly race seats vs. the aluminum Kirkey style seats. I can see where the aluminum seats can be more form fitted to a person and most likely they are more structurally sound (don't flex as much) but what other advantages and disadvantages are there? Obviously there is a big cost difference but hopefully that wouldn't be the only deciding factor. Don't be shy, please share experiences and opinions.

A Kirkey econo drag seat will cost around $200 with a cover. The Poly seat is around $70 with a cover. I'll tell you this, They are CHEAP!!! I've never used one. Just looking at them, It doesn't look like there is any side support.

Never seen it, but heard a few times the attaching mount pulls out of the seat bottom occasionally. This was on launch too, not during a crash. Good topic to discuss.

I have installed a few of both types in a few cars, and it really boils down to personal preference. :)

If in doubt, try sitting a couple cars that have each type to see what you like.

Personally, I have never found an alum seat that I like.

In a GN with a fixed side bar, entry and exit is a PIA especially with a full fire suit. On a couple GN's I had to trim the door side edge of the alum seat to get clearance around the side bar, even a swing out?

My poly seats have served me well for years, and I lined and fitted them with some foam cut to size for a comfortable, firm ride. :D

There should be NO problem with either seat moving or coming loose if installed properly according to the safety rules.

............. I can see where the aluminum seats can be more form fitted to a person and most likely they are more structurally sound (don't flex as much) but what other advantages and disadvantages are there? ......

I just had to add this in a separate post Eric as it is not really a tech response, just a response to your "form fitted to a person" comment. :)

The Kirkey seat is basically a square box at the bottom and the poly seat is rounded and curved.

Well, my ass and back is more rounded and curved so maybe that is why I find the poly seat more accomodating? :D

Never seen it, but heard a few times the attaching mount pulls out of the seat bottom occasionally. This was on launch too, not during a crash. Good topic to discuss.

Just reread my post and realized I didnt say which seat. I am sure everyone assumed the oly seat, but wanted to clarify.

Nick is right on about sitting in each. The poly ones killed my back, and havent sat in a newer alum one to know. If given the option, sit in each. As for safety, either would be much better in an accident you'd assume.

I had the Jaz poly seats in my small block S-10 for many years and even when I was younger and lighter, my legs would start to tingle after longer drives. I tried to put some added padding under the original and could never improve the comfort. I stopped in at Summit Racing and finally got to sit in a Kirkey pro street seat, I walked out with 2 new seats and covers. I did one leg on the last Hot Rod Power Tour, drove over 600 miles in two days, and still felt good. The friend that road with me was a bit too wide for the 17 inch seats, but still said that they were more comfortable than the poly seats. The only down side of the Kirkeys, is that without a tilt column and sliding seat track, it is a little harder to get in and out, but I think it is well worth the trouble for the comfort once you get in.
Jason

Kirkey alum seats for sure

I agree with Dave!!!!!

I used the Kirkey Pro Drag Seat part number 41-900 (which have a hip width of 18”). In my opinion this series of seats are very comfortable and not flat on the bottom. They are designed for drag racing not circle track cars. I had no problem getting in and out of the car with these seats.

They fit right into the car using the pre fabbed brackets suppliers on this board have available. Install was extremely easy. They cleared the door panel and my cage very well, and put the seat in the center of the wheel. They also mount the seat to side of the bracket which is the best way to mount a racing seat.

These seats felt much better than the stock seats when making a hard pass in the car. I have data logged several passes floating around 2 G’s of acceleration on launch!!! So the high head support is very nice. When the car gets squirrely you feel more connected to the car and are able to feel what is going on better in my opinion when you’re strapped into a solid mounted seat. I put them in both sides of the car and lost over 40 pounds with these replacement seats using the brackets shown.
I had Jax seat cover re-upholster the covers to match the OEM seats.

Here are the links to the seats and brackets I used. I couldn’t be happier.

Turbo regal custom parts or G Body parts

kirkey 41 series seats

saets.jpg

I had the poly seats in a previous car and don't remember them being too bad. Of course that was when I was younger and my black daily driver with T-tops and no A/C wasn't too bad either :) Ever been in a Phoenix summer with no A/C? Anyway, the A/C is now on when it is 75 out so the butt-o-meter is a little more refined as well. I do remember the drive from Phoenix to Albuq. and I almost walked the last 20 miles. My tusshy hurt something fierce. My particular car this time around will have very limited street time so it really wouldn't be a concern. Hopefully the local speed shop has some aluminum seats I can test drive.

As far as the insert pulling out on the poly, the only time I saw that was in a Jeep. It was abused and the seat install wasn't great. He had them laid way back and only used 4 of the 6 bolts. Not to mention that he never missed a meal (BIIIG boy). I think in a drag car, mounted properly with seatback supported to the bar, the poly seats would be fine. I agree though mounting through the side of the seat would be preferred to threading into the bottom. Good thread.

I went to the local speed shop yesterday and sat in one of the Kirkey Pro Street seats. Wow, it was really nice. My big concern is will it fit in my little car with a roll cage. I think it may be slightly smaller in width overall than the poly seat so it may be easier to package. A pretty heafty increase in price (about 300 each mounted) over the poly seat (Jegs about 80 each mounted) but what the heck. It is just money right? Seriously though If you can get one that fits nice to your particular body type I think it will be a little safer too.

Just ordered a set of Kirkey 41900 pro street / drag seats. Scored the TR customparts bases as well.

Finally got a chance to sit in some Kirkey's with covers, and they are pretty comfy. Not sure I'd be able to do a power tour or anything in them with my aging back, but they are nice. Nicer than my GN seats as a matter of fact. These were a little pricey though, since I bought a car and the seats were included... ;)

all those seats look supper comfy comparted to some of the stuff we have in are armored vehicles picture bieng strapped to a aluminum plate kirky pro drag really nice seat dos any one know were you can get cover though that have the grand national logo and such on em

I put Kirkeys in my TSO build and they are very comfortable, got to watch the width, or your beer intake, a quick release wheel helps with the old guy in and out dance. Built my own mounts before G-body had theirs available, would have saved me hours of fab time..grrrrrr

I debated over Kirkey's v. Poly and wanted something unique but comfortable and safe for the track. Went with Jaz Turbo Pro Poly seats and had to fab my own brackets which was a real PITA but they came out great and seat position is now ideal for me.

Pics with my custom fab'd brackets - I'm no fabber but happy with the results.

Attachments

• Seats_1.JPG
    Seats_1.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 388
  • Seats_2.JPG
    Seats_2.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 429
  • Seats_3.JPG
    Seats_3.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 366
  • Seats_4.JPG
    Seats_4.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 461
  • Seats_5.JPG
    Seats_5.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 377
Stopped in to Summit racing saterday and sat in a 41900 man hose seats are more comfortable then the stock seats are. Iam thinking about getting a set now and have them covered to match the car.