RE-CREATED GNX 428 on Ebay

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
On Ebay now - Item number: 120280643524 ends 13 Jul 2008

It looks like the seller did a good job transferring parts from the original # 428 and having some new stickers made. Most importantly, it looks like the VIN for the original #428 was not carried over to the re-creation.:cool:

From the pic of the rear end cover, I could not tell if that was an original (with the specific GNX # cast into the cover) or if it was an earlier version of what Kirban's markets. The Fisher body plate looks like the original one from said GNX. I can't read the body # in the pic to see if it is basically correct in sequence.

The new SPI label has the proper GNX option code listed but the sequential build # of 120665 is way off. That build # is closer to GNX 030 with a May build date from GM. The original GNX 428 was built in July '87 and the build # should be about 150000. With the donor GN VIN ending in 460166, that is an October '87 build (extended production) and the build # should be about 035000. A minor detail, but something to point out.

The car looks good. the seller has a 100 % feedback rating (33 transactions) and has represented the car accurately. the engine was completely re-worked with performance parts. It would be interesting to know what VIN is stamped on the block and the ultimate selling price.

Does anyone know the details about the original #428?

The rear cover is a Kirban early version, it does not have the 3 digit code on the lower ear. The dash plate #428 is not the original production style but it is the GM replacement. The car is stated as the best clone, but ehhh. Would look alot nicer with the factory GNX wheels with the correct offsets.

Looks like a fairly good clone but I would not say it is "the best re-creation ever built." like he claims because I see a few problems that claim just from looking at the pictures.

1. The wheels look like 4 GTA fronts because they appear to be tucked way under the wheel wells and dont look to have the real deep polished lip like real GNX wheels.
2. the only gauge that is original is the boost gauge, even the other tach that is included is not 100% correct because of the chrome bezel.
3. That is an early Kirban reproduction suspension.
4. The dash plate is not an original.

Interesting find. This particular clone was offered twice back in 2006 (February and again in April, both times unsold).

That cowl tag has always bothered me. There was a genuine GNX stolen within a few cars of this clone's "number" back in 2001 (from California). I'd be very interested in seeing the rest of the numbers on that tag.

BTW, all the installed gauges are incorrect except for the boost. That includes the speedo. The tach shown separately is correct, though. Just needs to be fitted.

Guess we'll all see where this auction ends up...

The tach shown separately is correct, though. Just needs to be fitted.

Correct me if I'm wrong but dosent a real GNX tach have a black bezel like the one pictured here:confused: I thought only the speedo had a chrome bezel.

Attachments

• HPIM1297 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1297 (Small).JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 771
  • HPIM1298 (Small).JPG
    HPIM1298 (Small).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 723
Interesting find. This particular clone was offered twice back in 2006 (February and again in April, both times unsold).

That cowl tag has always bothered me. There was a genuine GNX stolen within a few cars of this clone's "number" back in 2001 (from California). I'd be very interested in seeing the rest of the numbers on that tag.

BTW, all the installed gauges are incorrect except for the boost. That includes the speedo. The tach shown separately is correct, though. Just needs to be fitted.

Guess we'll all see where this auction ends up...
Your correct on the gauges,The actual GNX gauges
had little symbols on them.IE... Temp had a thermometer,oil had an oil can i think,and fuel had a pump symbol on it.
These guages dont have the symbols on this cars cluster.

Turbo87regal notice in gene's description it states correct spacing on front and rear rims they are oem gnx wheels that he collected over the years.

Who cares if all the silly little details are correct? It's not supposed to be right - it's a re-creation.

Maybe the new owner will drive and enjoy it. It's a car. :wink:

I thought the definition of a recreation or clone is something created to be an exact copy? I really dont car about the car, I just mentioned this because his ebay listing states that his car is the best recreation that you will ever find. You should not make that claim unless you can back it up.

I thought the definition of a recreation or clone is something created to be an exact copy? I really dont car about the car, I just mentioned this because his ebay listing states that his car is the best recreation that you will ever find. You should not make that claim unless you can back it up.

I agree, the seller also makes the bold claim that the only difference between this car and a real GNX is that is wasn't built by ASC - that's obviously NOT the only difference. :rolleyes:

Exactly my point as well. If its the best recreation you can find it should be 100% exact.

Turbo87regal notice in gene's description it states correct spacing on front and rear rims they are oem gnx wheels that he collected over the years.
Maybe he changed them since the pictures were taken but the wheels in the pictures still look like GTA wheels to me.

Have you seen a better recreation? If not, it's the best. :wink:

X 2 ! Exactly!..."WHO CARES?"

Claude. :cool:

Who cares? A potential buyer if the cluster was being advertised as a real GNX dash. The difference being another $3k-$5k in price.

It dosent matter cause the guy is not pushing the dash as an original GNX dash. He stated that they were SW gauges and that one of the gauges was authentic.

Sweet ride either way. The people who know how hard it is to convert a GN in a GNX and do it right are going to point out anything that is not correct. To do it correct is extremely stressful and expensive. There are quite a few differences between the two and the dash being sought after.

As far as a recreation goes it's OK, not great by any means. I have seen a better one by a long, long shot.

That car as a re-created GNX pails in comparison to the extent others have gone.

there is one thing for sure.. You could pass it off as a GNX to anybody else..

except the people on here... LOL

nice looking GNX clone.. hell id be out street racing that sucker, smakin down imports and such..

Yes I have its in my garage:biggrin: just needs a nice paint job.

This car is a good clone for sure just not "the best re-creation ever built." At least he went through the trouble to get as much of it correct as he could. I espacially like the fact that he did the suspension witch lots of people dont do and that the cluster is not one from Poston or gnxdash.com that in my opinion dont cut it for a clone or recreation. Believe me it takes a lot of time and money to track down the parts needed to get to the point this car is at and I will admit I'm a little jealous about the cowl plate with the GNX stamp since mine does not have one.

I respect the fact that he did not just put louvers and black wheels on a GN and called it a GNX clone like lots of idiots do:rolleyes: