Rear dilema ?

turbocamino1

turboholic
Looking for some directional advise regarding the rear. My GN rear has had an easy life with just 4 track passes in its entire life...and two of those saw little traction. It has welded tubes and aT/A girdle and a few fluid changes and general inspections. I would like to do a few more track days...maybe just 3or4 per season, totaling 10 laps ,or so. However, i have a 270" engine coming together and, depending on how hard i want to run it, should / could make 700 at the tire..and with an HR bar, M/T DR and all the rear susp support items i have, could easily kill the stock rear at the track ,even off a foot brake launch. Some suggest ,if only a few passes a season,off the foot brake ,to just buy axles and maybe a carrier...some suggest...a complete rebuild with everything new...some ...go straight to Ford 9" or the strange s60 ?... It will see most it's action on the street...but with pretty serious HP. i just dont know.

I guess it mostly depends on your tolerance for risk. Ive seen a lot of power put through an 8.5 on the street and track but eventually it will fail. The street is way harder on it than the track imo, with the side loads and such. I like the 9" idea but that costs, and the s60 to me is over kill but I doubt you could break it(and man is it heavy). Along with the indestructible comes higher initial investment cost.

I would do the 8.5 but I am cheap. If I had money and need I'd do the nine inch. For me to consider an s60 I'd have won the lottery and have a TA block all built too.

I only want to do this once ...I think i will give QP a call soon and get a 9". I didnt see a HP rating for one on their site?