Rear frame X member?

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
For those that have added a cross member at the far rear of the frame, might you have a pic of where you located it, and details as to the tubing size, etc?
Frame is out of the car, and I'd like to be sure I don't add it, then have to cut it out!:eek:
TIA,:D

I've been wondering the same thing also. I know a few people add the towing hitch and use that as a frame brace, but not 100% sure about the looks with it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

This is mine. When you see how big the rear H of the frame is, its common sense that you need something like this. Problem is with welding something straight across you will block the tank if you have to drop it in the future so we came up with a bolt on solution. Welded an 1/8" plate to the frame, and fabbed up the crossbrace with some grade 8 hardware, very beefy.

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

To dsapper, the crossbrace itself how was it made or what did you use?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app[/quote]

DOM tubing and a tubing bender. Welded plates to the end of the brace and to the frame itself and bolted it up, nothing crazy. Pictures don't show it but it was powdercoated black afterwards

What does this crossmember do that the rear bumper support and bumper don't do when bolted up to the frame? I could see the need if you were installing a fiberglass rear bumper w/o any substructure support. It would provide some rear end impact protection for fuel tank.
Conrad

We jacked the car up by the frame corners before disassembly and even after the gnx braces there was a ton of flex in the rear, much more than in the front (which is ironic since every brace I've seen is for the front) after the brace there was almost no deflection

Its the rearcrossmember itsself that really sucks. That iswhat needs to be adressed. Headto the lowrider forums and check out what theyve done. If anyone knows anything about flex and twist, its these guys

Any links to those lowriders forums or their posts. When it comes to lowriders I have no idea where to start looking.

Its the rearcrossmember itsself that really sucks. That iswhat needs to be adressed. Headto the lowrider forums and check out what theyve done. If anyone knows anything about flex and twist, its these guys
Yep they do...along with big metallic "bowling ball paint" and "crystal chandelier" dome lights!!!
The rear brace I have designed mounts to the ends of the frame where the bumper mounts. I am making new mounts on the bumper and will adjust for the added length. I am also adding a mounting pad where my ALKY pump will bolt to it, since I am running the Metco cell in the trunk.

The rear cross member can crack under stress if you don't have everything braced properly. The rear rails flex horribly but the front is much stiffer. If you had a bare frame and tried to pick up on one side you'll find that the side you pick up will go up about 1 foot before the other side starts to move.:( This has to do with both the center and the rear of the frame. It was designed for a comfortable ride and not for strength unfortunately. Just a simple tube welded between the rear spring perches and welded to the rear cross member will stiffen the heck out of it. This is what I did to mine.;) Pardon the crappy welding but the liner on the MIG needed replacing and the welds are strong, even if they look like crap.:oops:
DSCN0002.JPG

Yeah, the watts-link I put in stiffened things up a bit but the bar did more. I also welded up all the factory welds and the crossmember that was already there, similar to what charlie did

Yep they do...along with big metallic "bowling ball paint" and "crystal chandelier" dome lights!!!
The rear brace I have designed mounts to the ends of the frame where the bumper mounts. I am making new mounts on the bumper and will adjust for the added length. I am also adding a mounting pad where my ALKY pump will bolt to it, since I am running the Metco cell in the trunk.

Coach, would you mind sharing a pic or 2 of the mounts you have designed? I've been looking at the end mount idea, but have made no further attempt at a design.

As for using the bumper to stiffen it, the bumper shock absorbers are where I'd look for less than good rigidity.
Charlie's idea is being implemented. I am also going to add another tube across the back of the coil spring mts. This will be attached to the ft bar with a pair of short tubes to form a "K" member. The OEM x member will be re-welded.

Thanks all, for the ideas!:cool:

Coach, would you mind sharing a pic or 2 of the mounts you have designed? I've been looking at the end mount idea, but have made no further attempt at a design.

As for using the bumper to stiffen it, the bumper shock absorbers are where I'd look for less than good rigidity.
Charlie's idea is being implemented. I am also going to add another tube across the back of the coil spring mts. This will be attached to the ft bar with a pair of short tubes to form a "K" member. The OEM x member will be re-welded.

Thanks all, for the ideas!:cool:
Hey Chuck,
I haven't got any pics, just a few quick sketches laying on the work bench. I wasn't actually working on a brace as much as I was trying to design an ALKY pump mount for my trunk mounted tank.
The idea to cut a couple 3/16" inch thick plates that would bolt onto the frame ends and then use a 1x1 1/2 inch length of rectangular tubing to span the frame horns kinda look like a good idea. Then a plate mounted to hold the pump at the correct height. I am using the alum bumper mounts and not the factory shocks. My bumper has no bumper support in it. It's "hallow" for lack of a better term. I am smoothing the bumper so no holes. I'm going to bend a strip of steel and weld it inside the bumper with the bolt pattern in it to remount the bumper. That is how I will make up the 3/16" difference for the plate thickness being added to the ends of the frame.

It's been a while but I remember someone making plates that mount on the bumper shock and extends down about an inch or so. Like Donnie said, it's 1" square tubing to keep the horns from moving around.;)

Anyone have any photos with the tow bar installed?

I'm looking on buying all the braces such as the Triangular, Cross Brace, underhood Braces and the Rear Seat brace. It was weird to me that no one has designed anything for the very rear of the frame.