Reproduction GN dash plaque by Parts Place - how good a reproduction is it?

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
has anyone bought this? How accurate is the reproduction vs original GM part? Parts Place was first in offering re-pops on grilles and headlight bezels and the feedback was wonderful for those parts. then Goodmark decided to make and market their own grilles and headlight bezels and the Goodmark brand has taken over.

just wondering if this is a quality reproduction or something to avoid. Marketing pics are not the same as viewing a part in-hand. If you've had this repro dash plaque in-hand, please share your thoughts on the quality and accuracy. Thanks.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pr...nal-emblem-gm-25504346-limited-oe-stock/98003

had a really nice surprise...

Mike (@m233roller) very graciously offered to mail me a PartsPlace reproduction dash plaque so that I could examine it first hand. I will be receiving it shortly.

While I do have an excellent original GN dash plaque coming from @Nick Micale for my GN, I did want to learn how good a re-pop this PartsPlace plaque is. That way, should the topic ever come up in conversation, I can speak intelligently about what I saw first hand with the part in my possession.

These dash plaques are not easy to find in great condition. Pictures do not really do the part justice. There are so many things that can only be visualized with the part in-hand. Camera angles, lighting, reflections, etc can really affect the appearance of a part, for better and worse. There is something to be said for being able to examine something in person vs viewing marketing pictures.

I believe GM discontinued the GN dash plaque in January 1995. At the GS Nats in 2007, a gentleman was selling a NOS GN dash plaque displayed in a glass case for something like $300 or $350. Original parts in a concours-like condition are tough to find nowadays for our 32+ year old cars.

If you have an original dash plaque and you are planning on cutting holes in it for gauges, consider using the re-pop instead.

This PartsPlace repro dash plaque is priced about $120. It may very well be a good choice for many. This exercise will also provide another viewpoint to the one "meh" review this re-pop received on PartsPlace ebay listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1987-...9?hash=item3fc4362009:g:1VgAAOSwwbxc2d~z#rwid

Received mine today. Looks really nice. The order said "limited OE stock". Does that mean this is NOS?

My original plaque has been bothering me for years due to the wear on the silver and some marks from an old emblem someone stuck on. This will do the trick perfectly.
20190621_134844.jpg
20190621_134854.jpg
20190621_134911.jpg
20190621_134923.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

the PartsPlace item is a newly made reproduction. Therefore, the slate grey is slightly different from what GM originally did. For the purist or the #1+ condition vehicle kept in its own captive environment, this re-pop probably won't fit the bill. However, it seems to be a good reproduction that will fit the bill for most. That's what I will soon see for myself.

I don't care for the stock appearing overlays. The custom graphic overlays are well done if that is what you are looking for.

Don't be concerned about the ebay listing for only one left. Parts Place has plenty of them available for purchase from their website. product link is in post #1.

the PartsPlace item is a newly made reproduction. Therefore, the slate grey is slightly different from what GM originally did. For the purist or the #1+ condition vehicle kept in its own captive environment, this re-pop probably won't fit the bill. However, it seems to be a good reproduction that will fit the bill for most. That's what I will soon see for myself.

I don't care for the stock appearing overlays. The custom graphic overlays are well done if that is what you are looking for.

PartsPlace rep noted over phone the Limited OE Stock refers to this reproduction was made based upon the original equipment part.

Don't be concerned about the ebay listing for only one left. Parts Place has plenty of them available for purchase from their website. product link is in post #1.

the 25504346 number molded into the back of the plaque is not the part #, it's a drawing reference #. per the 44W crash book, page 10-31, the actual part # is 25528768.

http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/25528768.html

Another 'close is good enough' part. Smh
Trust me, I'm not a close is good enough kind of guy. I'm actually pretty anal about this car. In this case, I'll make do with this repro until I spot something nicer original.

SpeedRacerX, sorry I wasn't clear. I'm talking about people that okay the part to be manufactured. Maybe I'm just too diehard but I feel its disrespectful to us and our cars.

Hoodpads for example, they could make 9 hole but they're set up for 8 and since they're selling the manufacturer has zero motivation to make a correct part.

Again, sorry.

Received the OE GN dash plaque from Nick. Got a series of side-by-side comparison pics with the Parts Place reproduction - in daylight - sun and shade exposures. A special thanks goes out to @m233roller for sending me the PartsPlace plaque for this exercise. It would not have been done without Mike's involvement.

For full disclosure, I did polish the shale grey area on the plaque I bought from Nick. Meguire's fine scratch remover glaze with a super-soft foam pad yielded the result pictured. Only go side-to-side, NO TOP TO BOTTOM OR CIRCLES WITH THE FOAM PAD. There is a side-to-side "grain" in the shale grey as GM applied it.

The shale grey area on the PartsPlace reproduction is done as printed lines, for lack of a better term. There is a space between the printed grey lines where the part's black plastic shows as a background color. The grey printed lines have a depth to them, feeling like raised ribs. The spacing of the printed grey lines allowing the part's base black color to show, yields a different grey. The grey also looks different in direct sunlight - possibly a function of the non-continuous covering of the grey like it would be if it were painted instead.

The Grand National insert piece - available as a separate reproduction part for about $20 - looks well done. On an original plaque, this GN insert would sit flush or slightly recessed as installed. On the reproduction, the GN insert sits proud - perhaps the pocket for the insert is not as deep.

The Buick wording on an OE plaque has a greater depth than the reproduction - both the black outline shadow lettering as well as the chrome mylar top letters.

The numbers and wording on the back of the plaque have been copied the same. The reproduction parts does have different size and location and quantity for the ejection pins (and marks) used to eject the part from the molding process.

The PartsPlace reproduction plaque is priced at about $120. Don't chase dash plaques on ebay. Pics are usually out of focus AND REMEMBER THAT ANGLES AND LIGHTING CAN MAKE THE PART LOOK TOTALLY DIFFERENT THAN WHEN YOU SEE IT FIRST HAND IN YOUR POSSESSION.

After doing some experimenting with my original dash plaque, I believe the shale grey area can be restored if one has the skill, time and patience. Don't trash this OE part just because of some defects, scratches, gouges, or rub marks in that shale grey area.

Have an autobody supply store use their paint scanner to determine the exact recipe for that shale grey color and make a rattle can formulated as paint for plastic. The interior spray paint that all the vendors sell is the same paint, each labelled differently, and does not match anything.

Cover the Buick wording and the GN insert part. Scuff the shale grey with maybe 3000 paper going side to side. mask off the plaque so as to not get tape lines and lightly mist with color. Polishing glaze will knock down any ridge at tape line if you sprayed too heavily. Something to try

Attachments

• P1030457.JPG
    P1030457.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 59
  • P1030458.JPG
    P1030458.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 59
  • P1030459.JPG
    P1030459.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 60
  • P1030460.JPG
    P1030460.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
  • P1030461.JPG
    P1030461.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 66
  • P1030462.JPG
    P1030462.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 66
  • P1030465.JPG
    P1030465.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 70
  • P1030466.JPG
    P1030466.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 67
  • P1030467.JPG
    P1030467.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 67
  • P1030468.JPG
    P1030468.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 63
Wow! The best way I can think of to describe that is comparing analog to digital TV. Guess it would be better than having to look at a big hole in your dash or cut it up to install gauges to distract from the sub par quality. I expect better for a $120 piece of plastic. Did the box say "Made in China"?

OE part was not marked for country of origin and as such, neither is the reproduction. The reproduction is wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped in a plain box so can't see any packaging that bulk order parts would be received in from the manufacturer, where ever located.

The sticker on the wrapped part was not marked for country of origin either.
20190621_134923.jpg

Nice review Anthony thanks!

If I ever half ass a restoration I know what dash plaque to buy, but only when they're on sale. Haha

I see it says 'limited oe stock.' There is hope!

Any ideas on how to restore the little Chrome ring around the whole dash bezel? I know kirban sells ones for the vents of the car. Thanks for the thread

Thank you for the reply Grass Doctor. Would I buy something like that at my auto parts store or is that a specialty paint item you would buy at a craft store

i bought that one off amazon and I got the 2mm tip I posted the wrong one in the link (1mm) its to skinny and would not allow a smooth one stroke pass , im sure a craft store would have them , the one I bougt was pretty dang good though as far as chrome appearance

Chrome Short Cuts Paint Pen - Krylon (SCP-902 I think) worked for me. Not perfect like chrome but very nice. Found at a local hobby store $7.

Used it on the vent surrounds too.