Rich stinky smell at idle, high BLM's

v8notch

HI Guys, I'm a newbie to the list but not to Buicks. I have a TTA with a nasty smell and high BLM's Also did not pass smog of course. It runs ok and pulls hard, just runs super rich at idle, big black mark on the cement from the exhuast. I know High BLM mean Lean and fattens up the pulse.

Car has te44, Red A's 93 chip. atr inlet pipe TH down pipe-ATR Exhuast. New plugs and jacob wires.

Here is the scan details
Idle o2's all over the place
AF-5
RPM 750
IAC-30
BLM-140
Fuel press 40 vac on.
INT bounce between 122-140
TPS 42

So far I have replaced the o2, intake gasket, vacume hoses, check cam timing sensor, new cat.

Could it be a bad injector? Car only hads 40k on it.

Any help would be Greatly appreciated, have been banging my head on this problem for 6 months.:confused:

what are the emissions results (incl CO2 and O2), or email your license plate to: joseph_cheung@dca.ca.gov

This is before I made any changes to the car. Like o2 sensor and intake gasket and hoses. My buddy just sniffed it but did not run a test, he new I would fail on the HC's at idle.

IDLE
HC PPM-608
CO- .62
RPM-788
co2-13.9
o2-1.2

RPM 2394
HC PPM 53
CO-.03
CO2 14.5
O2-1.2

Jeff

looks like emissions are really lean at idle. Possible misfire at idle, may be fuel (not enough, vacuum leak leak) or ignition related (leaking EGR valve, wires cross firing or leaking)

Yeah, I tried the vacume leak therory. Thats why I pulled the intake and changed the gasket from old felpro metal to the new felpro meatal coated type, also replaced all vaclines. Baptied the motor in carb cleaner no leaks were found.
Ignition:
I check the coil tower resistance it checked out ok, tried different wires, Plugs check out ok, Made sure I had no exhuast leeks. checked all the maf and turbo piping. Just wondering if a bad injector could cause such a problem. I have a fuel guage on the motor at all times, it responds to boost as it should. :confused: I tested the egr with vac gun it opens and run rought then closes up as it should. :rolleyes: This car is streching my auto knowledge.... I called red A and his mind is blown as well, I guess you can only go so far with out seeing the car...

You don't care if when you lift the EGR valve it stumbles the engine, although that says the passages are clear. What you're concerned about is whether it's leaking past the pintle. Spray carb cleaner or propane underneath the valve and see if it drives the O2 readings up (past 800mv). Maybe since your in NorCal, you can call 916-255-4217 and I'll provide some explanation. I'm here from 7:15-4:15 m-f

Well , I used a plate to block off the EGR, JUST AT IDLE, to see if that helped. The BLMs went to 128 for a while then back up to 134 about 5 minutes later. The rich exhuast smell never went away. I pulled all the plugs again to see how things looked. The #1 plug was very black, took a compression test all cyclinders are between 160 and 163. CHecked all the wires again, it has tons of spark on all 6 holes. Could it be a stuck injector on number 1? When i pull the injector wire while running the car responds with a miss as it should and the BLM's go up like they should.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh almost ready to part out the car:rolleyes:

If you believe that the injector is the problem, try swapping it to another cylinder and see if that cylinder's (spark plug) now becomes black and sooty. If it does, change the injector

Ok I switched the injector over to the otherside. Plut in a new plug in Number one and ran the car for a while. The plug came out black also a little wet with oil. Somthing else is going on:confused: I also took a closer look and there is some oil coming from the the exhuast port on that cyclinder. Doesn't make sense because the compression is good and it doesn't blow any smoke. Anyhow what ever is going on is probably the reson why it's showing lean on the BLM. The heads have been proted so that makes me nervous....Back to the drawing board
:(