rpo decal specifics

overn72

hi all. ive got an 87 GN ive owned since 2000. the RPO decal is missing in the trunk. i found a company that can reproduce them but since i dont have the original they cant do much as they dont know what to reproduce. i dont think there was a bunch of options variations for an 1987 GN. also figureing i can see what options mine has by looking at it. anyone have an idea of what i can do to get the codes or a picture of one that has the same options( without the VIN in the picture natually) as mine. off the top of my head ive got door edge gaurds, hard top roof, black and body side molding. no We4. any help would be greatly appreciated overn@cox.net

Here you go ! This will get you all the options your car came with and more
Screenshot_20180314-223319.jpg

I'll work with you to figure this out. It's not easy and won't be done tomorrow or in a week. If you're up for a little work, the end result will be all the correct codes for your GN and from my build records, I can probably get you close to your actual sequential build #. There is a lot more to it than what you noted above. you'll need to confirm the following:

1. Was GN originally sold in US or Canada? (Speedometer top #s in mph or kph analog dash - digital in kilometer per hour or mph. if not original dash, emissions label on heater box look like this for Canada sold?Emissions sticker - GN HP415255 - CANADA.JPG

2. If US sold, contact GM Media Archives and order your dealer invoice - $50 do it here http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

3. If Canada sold, have to get invoice from GM Canada - Vintage Vehicle services. I don't have current link at the moment.

the dealer invoice will list all of the options, codes, costs etc for your GN. The standard options are a piece of cake.

4. need the last 6 digits of your VIN. PM me that info if you do not want to list it publicly.

5. need the build date info from the cowl tag under the driver's side wiper arm. refer to the attached pdf for how to

I've helped a lot of folks over the years getting original documentation as well as gathering correct data for reproduction window stickers compiling some stuff in this archive https://turbobuick.com/threads/part-for-original-86-gn-window-sticker.248605/

I have a database of build records for our turbo buicks and images of hundreds if not thousand of SPID labels. I'll help if you want to do this correctly and completely.

Attachments

• Fisher Body Tag.pdf
    69.4 KB · Views: 112
You might THINK there weren't many options on an 87 GN.....

You're in for an educating and enlightening experience. Some have already offered help. Take it!

I've had a replacement window sticker and door stickers made through Kirban, but every company I've contacted that reproduces factory labels has said they can't do the RPO label for our cars. Even had a friend at a body shop try through his channels. I'd be curious if you legitimately found a place that will make them.

Spoke with Tom at ECS Automotive Concepts http://www.ecsautomotive.com/ ECS is the company that does the window stickers, door stickers, etc for Kirban's

ECS will reproduce a SPID label. They make them for the crash industry repairs as well as for older cars in need of restoration.

HOWEVER, the data has to be proven before ECS will supply a reproduction SPID label. The requirements are a picture of the original SPID label, a copy of the dealer invoice and possibly a pic of the VIN tag on the dash and a pic of the cowl tag. All are needed as part of the licensing and service agreements with GM and being a GM Restoration Parts licensee.

While the dealer invoice is a start, I would still need to confirm the original poster's GN data of VIN and cowl tag date are in concert with my database records. I'm not helping clone a Regal into a GN or a Limited into a GN, etc.

Even if the VIN and cowl tag and dealer invoice all check out AND I spend several hours putting together the list of all the other codes (maybe 70 to 90 total) there is still the issue of the sequential build #. That # only appeared on the original window sticker and the SPID label. Buick never kept build # records for our cars like Chevy did for the Corvette. I don't have 20,000 build records for all the 87 TB's. While I've help to verify data on cars, I cannot suggest a build # that is close. With the lack of records, it is doubtful anyone could dispute that number. In any case, I don't want the liability and misrepresented data is not fair to a future buyer. The SPID label is supposed to be a factual representation of the car. No one will use made up data to create an authentic document.

Instead of the OP spending the $50 to get the dealer invoice, he should first PM the complete VIN to me. the GN was purchased in the year 2000. I may have some documentation of the car, including SPID from sales or listings prior to the year 2000.

If the car is ever sold again, the future buyer uses the SPID to verify the car. It is a slippery slope when the expected factual data is not accurate.

I need the complete VIN to search my records for a build #. Otherwise this is going nowhere. OP has not responded to any of these replies to his thread yet.

So what your saying is this still does not help someone who DOES NOT have their original RPO sticker to supply a photo of, even if they had all of the other nessesary documents and photos.

Spoke with Tom at ECS Automotive Concepts http://www.ecsautomotive.com/ ECS is the company that does the window stickers, door stickers, etc for Kirban's

ECS will reproduce a SPID label. They make them for the crash industry repairs as well as for older cars in need of restoration.

HOWEVER, the data has to be proven before ECS will supply a reproduction SPID label. The requirements are a picture of the original SPID label, a copy of the dealer invoice and possibly a pic of the VIN tag on the dash and a pic of the cowl tag. All are needed as part of the licensing and service agreements with GM and being a GM Restoration Parts licensee.

While the dealer invoice is a start, I would still need to confirm the original poster's GN data of VIN and cowl tag date are in concert with my database records. I'm not helping clone a Regal into a GN or a Limited into a GN, etc.

Even if the VIN and cowl tag and dealer invoice all check out AND I spend several hours putting together the list of all the other codes (maybe 70 to 90 total) there is still the issue of the sequential build #. That # only appeared on the original window sticker and the SPID label. Buick never kept build # records for our cars like Chevy did for the Corvette. I don't have 20,000 build records for all the 87 TB's. While I've help to verify data on cars, I cannot suggest a build # that is close. With the lack of records, it is doubtful anyone could dispute that number. In any case, I don't want the liability and misrepresented data is not fair to a future buyer. The SPID label is supposed to be a factual representation of the car. No one will use made up data to create an authentic document.

Instead of the OP spending the $50 to get the dealer invoice, he should first PM the complete VIN to me. the GN was purchased in the year 2000. I may have some documentation of the car, including SPID from sales or listings prior to the year 2000.

If the car is ever sold again, the future buyer uses the SPID to verify the car. It is a slippery slope when the expected factual data is not accurate.

I need the complete VIN to search my records for a build #. Otherwise this is going nowhere. OP has not responded to any of these replies to his thread yet.

Correct - unfortunately. ( EDIT ADD: it all has to do with validating the sequential build #)

without a pic of the SPID to be replaced (like replacing the deck lid due to crash or restoration), ECS has reservations about supplying a replacement. If the original window sticker is available then the sequential build # is known.

If someone has the original window sticker, dealer invoice, pics of VIN and cowl tag AND someone like me creates a list of all the other codes and their layout, ECS will entertain creating a SPID label. Might need to furnish some similar SPID labels from other cars as proof of the common standard option codes not listed on the dealer invoice.

But you can't just ask to use a suspected close build #.

Last edited:
I can supply all of those items for my car if your willing to assist. Trunk lid was replaced during the restoration.

Correct - unfortunately. ( EDIT ADD: it all has to do with validating the sequential build #)

without a pic of the SPID to be replaced (like replacing the deck lid due to crash or restoration), ECS has reservations about supplying a replacement. If the original window sticker is available then the sequential build # is known.

If someone has the original window sticker, dealer invoice, pics of VIN and cowl tag AND someone like me creates a list of all the other codes and their layout, ECS will entertain creating a SPID label. Might need to furnish some similar SPID labels from other cars as proof of the common standard option codes not listed on the dealer invoice.

Undercover87T,
What I understood as the sticking point was the sequential build #. Just called ECS again to specifically ask about original window sticker PLUS dealer invoice PLUS VIN tag PLUS my list of additional codes verified by submittal of other SPID labels showing same.

They won't do it. There has to be proof of original data as found on SPID label. My conversation with them covered many topics. Again, I thought the sticking point was the build # which an original window sticker covered.

A NOTE TO EVERYONE....

TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR SPID LABEL and find a place or two to archive it. if it becomes damaged beyond visual verification - you can't get a replacement.

Thank you. My car has a build sheet that does show the sequence number

the sequence # on the build sheet represents the xxxx car to go down the assembly line that day. In your example, your car was the 352nd car built that day.

The sequential build number is only printed on the original window sticker and on the SPID label.

i have the "behind the door panel" build sheet , the (department door pad bcast), with a SEQ#, is that the sequential number you are talking about? can GMMEDIAARCIVE get me more information than the door build sheet. id hate to pay $50 for the same information. ive emailed them the build sheet with the same question

hi all. ive got an 87 GN ive owned since 2000. the RPO decal is missing in the trunk. i found a company that can reproduce them but since i dont have the original they cant do much as they dont know what to reproduce. i dont think there was a bunch of options variations for an 1987 GN. also figureing i can see what options mine has by looking at it. anyone have an idea of what i can do to get the codes or a picture of one that has the same options( without the VIN in the picture natually) as mine. off the top of my head ive got door edge gaurds, hard top roof, black and body side molding. no We4. any help would be greatly appreciated overn@cox.net

Where can I get this repro sticker from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have the "behind the door panel" build sheet , the (department door pad bcast), with a SEQ#, is that the sequential number you are talking about? can GMMEDIAARCIVE get me more information than the door build sheet. id hate to pay $50 for the same information. ive emailed them the build sheet with the same question

answer is in the post before your question. please read the thread before asking questions that have already been answered.

GM media archives will provide a copy of the dealer invoice. it lists the selling dealer info, base price of the car, the options and their costs, the delivery charge, etc.

If you had a picture of your specific SPID label, you need the dealer invoice as well to submit to ECS. otherwise, the dealer invoice is just more documentation for your car.

NO PICTURE OF ORIGINAL SPID LABEL MEANS NO REPLACEMENT LABEL.

There are existing technical resources where anyone can learn about the RPO codes on a SPID label. Those who want to learn need to teach themselves.

START HERE: https://t6p.com/index.php?threads/sevrice-parts-indentifaction-label-and-rpo-codes.2396/
(I would save that info as a complete html file as who knows if it could disappear.)

NEXT, GO HERE: http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html
(RPO codes with GM definitions as well as dealer cost and list prices for options show on dealer invoice purchased from GM Media Archives or GM Canada - Vintage Vehicle Services. Save a html copy for your files as well.)

THEN HERE: download and save the attached pdf. it is an 83 page file of GM RPO codes with GM definitions originally sourced from a 3rd-gen F-body forum.

REMEMBER, THERE ARE STILL CODES ON THE SPID LABEL THAT ARE NOT LISTED OR DECIFERRED IN THE ABOVE THREE TECHNICAL RESOURCES. That's why it is so difficult to get a replacement SPID label.

To complement the learning process, I will post sample 84-87 SPID labels that illustrate what the options from the dealer invoice PLUS the standard options PLUS the random non-car specific codes could look like. VIN and sequential build #'s have been redacted so there is no specific identification of any vehicle. 84, 85 and many 86 SPID labels had a plastic adhesive overlay. Late 86 SPIDs look more like 87 - no plastic overlay AND the sequential build # is now listed.

84 GN SPID 84 GN SPI Label.jpg 84 GN - national show car84 GN_show car prep.jpg

85 GN SPID85 GN SPI Label.jpg 85 T-Type SPID85 T-Type SPI Label.jpg

86 GN SPID (VIN last six 2xxxxx)86 GN SPID.jpg 86 GN SPID (VIN last six 4xxxxx)86 GN SPID VIN 4overlay.jpg

86 GN Canada SPID 86 GN SPI Canada posted.jpg 86 GN SPID (no overlay) 86 GN SPID late.jpg

87 SPIDs are on next post. Let me post them.

Attachments

• RPO code listing_very complete.pdf
    288.6 KB · Views: 171
87 GN SPID 87 GN SPID.jpg 87 GN Canada SPID 87 GN SPID - CANADA.jpg

87 T-package SPID 87 T-Pkg SPID.jpg 87 Limited SPID 87 Limited SPID.jpg

87 WE4 SPID 87 WE4 SPID.jpg

Now you should all be experts and can share your newly learned knowledge with others.

There are existing technical resources where anyone can learn about the RPO codes on a SPID label. Those who want to learn need to teach themselves.

START HERE: https://t6p.com/index.php?threads/sevrice-parts-indentifaction-label-and-rpo-codes.2396/
(I would save that info as a complete html file as who knows if it could disappear.)

NEXT, GO HERE: http://www.gnttype.org/numbers/rpo.html
(RPO codes with GM definitions as well as dealer cost and list prices for options show on dealer invoice purchased from GM Media Archives or GM Canada - Vintage Vehicle Services. Save a html copy for your files as well.)

THEN HERE: download and save the attached pdf. it is an 83 page file of GM RPO codes with GM definitions originally sourced from a 3rd-gen F-body forum.

REMEMBER, THERE ARE STILL CODES ON THE SPID LABEL THAT ARE NOT LISTED OR DECIFERRED IN THE ABOVE THREE TECHNICAL RESOURCES. That's why it is so difficult to get a replacement SPID label.

To complement the learning process, I will post sample 84-87 SPID labels that illustrate what the options from the dealer invoice PLUS the standard options PLUS the random non-car specific codes could look like. VIN and sequential build #'s have been redacted so there is no specific identification of any vehicle. 84, 85 and many 86 SPID labels had a plastic adhesive overlay. Late 86 SPIDs look more like 87 - no plastic overlay AND the sequential build # is now listed.

84 GN SPID View attachment 319461 84 GN - national show carView attachment 319462

85 GN SPIDView attachment 319463 85 T-Type SPIDView attachment 319464

86 GN SPID (VIN last six 2xxxxx)View attachment 319466 86 GN SPID (VIN last six 4xxxxx)View attachment 319467

86 GN Canada SPID View attachment 319468 86 GN SPID (no overlay) View attachment 319469

87 SPIDs are on next post. Let me post them.
Great info ! Thanks very much