S10 wheel cylinders

daturbosix

Has anyone swaped the stock wheel cylinders for the bigger S10's?
I need to know what year S10 to use?
Thanks

The GN stock rear brake cyls are 3/4" diameter, whereas the manual braked chevy S10 truck cylinders are 7/8".

The S10 cylinder is GM # 18012305 (or NAPA # 46 37644). I forget exactly what S10 model years this is from, but IIRC roughly mid-80s to early-90s.

The long brake shoe "set" is just the long shoe taken from 2 regular sets, eg GM # 18029694 (same as Delco 14514R).

I've read having 2 long shoes is a bit risky for street driving, too much risk of "grabby" lockups. Most people are OK with the S10 cylinders & regular shoes on the street, especially with stickier/larger rear tires. But could be very dicey if you're caught in the rain with rear tires having poor wet traction (eg, Mickey Thompson or BFG Drag radials) .

I just did mine two weeks before Bowling Green and used '86 S-10 with manual brakes. I believe '85 & '86 take the same part number.
Yes, same part number, just verified at Autozones site.
P/N 33892 Rear wheel cylinder for 85/86 S-10 with manual brakes.

Patrick

I just did mine two weeks before Bowling Green and used '86 S-10 with manual brakes. I believe '85 & '86 take the same part number.

Patrick

Patrick,
What brake shoes did you use?
Are you having any lock up issues where the rear end is coming around?
FRED

Patrick

thank you! thats what i was looking for.

So far no lockup issues, I can tell you however that they tend to grab very hard when backing up into the water box. I have other brake issues that I'm working on currently, but these rear wheel cylinders are highly recommended if you plan on holding big boost at the line.

Patrick

do it !!!!!!!!

went from being able to hold 4 lbs to 12-15 at the line with the cylinder and big shoes upgrade. no driving isseus with the bigger pads either, i bought the softest pads i could find and they hold really well

oh i am doing it. what is this big shoe upgrade?
and what brand are the soft shoes you are running? got a part number?

reply...

big shoe upgrade is just buying 2 sets of rear pads and using the 2 larger pads instead of the small and big pad. it gives you more holding surface . as for part # no can do, I just went to a canadian tire and asked for the softest pads they had which turned out to be the cheapest pads lucky me... autozone should have em , or some of the vendors on the site also sell sets of 2 larger pads, took my buddy and me about an hour to do the both sides pads and wheel cylinders, just blast the brake line fittings with some wd 40 before hand and let them soak, cause if you strip 1 while trying to loosen it youll be swearing .. good luck and a this is a great cheap upgrade that makes a difference.

Just upgraded the rear drums with new drums, stock GN shoes, and the bigger S10 wheel cylinders. What a huge difference! I know have a high pedal and the car stops amazingly with the vac brake setup. I also tried a few panic stops and could not get the rear wheels to lock up as many others have reported.

Bringing this back from the dead. Without buying the S10 shoes and swapping for the two bigger shoes, are the S10 shoes larger than regal shoes?

Bringing this back from the dead. Without buying the S10 shoes and swapping for the two bigger shoes, are the S10 shoes larger than regal shoes?

It's the S10 wheel cylinders that are larger. Buy two sets of stock brake shoes (for a TR) and use the 4 larger pads and recycle the smaller ones.

It's the S10 wheel cylinders that are larger. Buy two sets of stock brake shoes (for a TR) and use the 4 larger pads and recycle the smaller ones.

And for a huge savings, buy your two pairs of shoes from RockAuto.
Prices with shipping are hard to beat, especially when you can score a discount code.
-Patrick-

Back from the dead for sure,but a good reminders for people thinking about this modification
It is a good upgrade, for drag racing.
It is manageable on the dry with the 7/8 wheel cylinder and 2 primary shoes (large)
Use lots and lots of care in the wet.
GM spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours to get the braking balance just right on these cars. And for $40 bucks you can really screw it up.
If this is not going to see lots if drag time I would not do it.
On my way to the drags one morning a bozo turned in front of me (on dry road) and in a real live panic stop the backend started around on me , we both got lucky that morning .

Back from the dead for sure,but a good reminders for people thinking about this modification
It is a good upgrade, for drag racing.
It is manageable on the dry with the 7/8 wheel cylinder and 2 primary shoes (large)
Use lots and lots of care in the wet.
GM spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours to get the braking balance just right on these cars. And for $40 bucks you can really screw it up.
If this is not going to see lots if drag time I would not do it.
On my way to the drags one morning a bozo turned in front of me (on dry road) and in a real live panic stop the backend started around on me , we both got lucky that morning .

Yeah I thought about that and just decided against it. The shoes were way cheaper at rock auto. And they only had one 7/8 cylinder and I needed four (for both cars). I’m just sticking with factory since the front will have c5 brakes anyhow.

I've installed the 7/8" S-10 manual brake cylinders + 4 larger leading shoes and no issues or concerns.
At the same time I installed Talon Hydraulics HydroBoost brake system and plumbed in a Wildwood adjustable brake proportioning valve.
Blazer Spindles and dual callipers / rotors at the same time.
Brakes are "Amazing" and with the extra stopping power up front, combined with the adjustable proportioning valve, seems to be a very good combination . I don't normally drive in the rain, so I can't say in the wet, but the braking system seems to be very well balanced . To say that I'm pleased with this set up is a huge understatement.

No way, S10 WC and four large shoes on a street car. Panic stop or a hard brake hit in a wet road during rain, etc. Mine locked up in some sprinkler run off when a guy wasnt paying attention and changed lanes in front of me and I almost smacked a UPS truck! Several of others have had the same issue, only way to do it safely when driving on the street is with a adjustable proportioning valve that you can change bias to lessen rear braking. Its just not worth it...IMO this is just like all the other racetrack stuff that no one really is honest about or is ignorant to the repercussions because they havent really stood in the brakes oh shit style with the swap.