SD2 impressions from a tuning novice

haywire4130

finally installed my SD2 chip today, figured i'd post some thoughts after about 75 miles of use. i'm an absolute tuning-rookie, i've done some tuning on sportbikes using the dynojet powercommander, but nothing on my car. i was using an as-delivered turbotweak alky chip with a 85mm maf and translator previously.
setup was very easy, only took about 2 hours to install (including welding a bung for my ats in my intercooler pipe and wiring my map 5 volt reference to the tps feed from the ecm) and 2 brief test drives to get a good baseline where it would run and idle well. had to add to the AE enrichment a couple times to clean up a tip in stumble, throttle response is great now! midrange fueling is incredibly smooth now, car pulls great from all boost and rpm. false knock ignore parameter is awesome, and i always wondered what my intake temps were post-intercooler... now i know- about 2 degrees above ambient at speed. no question i have a lot left to learn but i really dig the ability to adjust so much via my laptop. i still need to trim some WOT fuel so it blends better when the alky starts spraying, but so far i'm extremely satisfied and can't wait to make some hard pulls with it! also, the security function is brilliant too, kudos eric/bob! :)

i went ahead and trimmed 10% fuel from part throttle cruise (parameter 5) and 10% from wot (parameter 8) before i set out to record. this is my first log: warmed up- part throttle cruise

Attachments

• part throttle cruise 1.dat
    101 KB · Views: 56
when pulling over after and saving that run i logged the warm idle and noticed my tps and iac were way off. i made a couple more pulls on the way home and reset the iac and tps. when i first installed the chip i had to tweak the iac and never reset the tps after doing so.

Attachments

• warm idle drive then park.dat
    126.4 KB · Views: 46
this is a roll on entering the highway, saw a bit of knock once it started pulling hard and lifted

Attachments

• merging onto highway alky @6.5.dat
    129.5 KB · Views: 62
another highway onramp with alky set to 7.5, pulled like a turd and misfired so i lifted, then rolled back into it in od to pass a car on the "track"

Attachments

• merging onto highway alky @7.5 misfire abort OD rollon.dat
    186.3 KB · Views: 46
backed alky down to 7 and repeat. car pulled pretty hard! traffic on the track was a little heavy. you'll also notice i'm a coward and have a mental block about mashing the throttle to the floor and holding it there. i'm anal and drive my car like it has feelings hahaha.

Attachments

• merging onto highway alky @7.0 and roll on.dat
    147.1 KB · Views: 46
readjusted iac and tps, warm idle log. for some reason the cf was at 20%, not sure if it was because it was so soon after i made adjustments.

Attachments

• idle with correct iac and tps adjustment.dat
    130 KB · Views: 45
just as the title says:

Attachments

• part throttle cruise with correct iac and tps.dat
    280 KB · Views: 45
this was the last run i made today before it started clouding up to rain. it pulled really hard, i noticed with the butt-dyno after the boost stabilized and the afr started to lean out it pulled like a freight train

Attachments

• backroad quick pull in d pulled hard.dat
    95.6 KB · Views: 53
i fiddled with the target afr for idle when i got home and noticed it really likes to be richer (which mimics what eric said in the instructions about larger cams liking richer idle) i set it to 12.5 and the idle smoothed way out and held 850 +/- 5 or so instead of hunting up and down like it did at 13.5... i didn't log it but will next time i go out. so far i'm pretty happy, and will continue to fine tune. what i really am enjoying is that the changes i made have seemed to show up exactly as hoped when testing (i.e. cf at -10%, trim 10% from table and test, cf now about 10% closer to target if that makes any sense?) there havent been any abnormal freakish reactions to the changes. i was also suprised how sensitive the fueling was to very small changes to the alky know position. i need to correct my sig, i am only running one nozzle, i had installed the second one last year because the knob was maxed out and i thought i needed it, but turns out my pump was weak. new pump last month and it was choking on alky so i capped off the second nozzle

I haven't reviewed your logs yet, but it sounds like you're getting there.
My chip was set extremely rich across the board, and like you, the car would lay over at WOT.
You do have to stay in the throttle a bit for it to lean out and really start to pull. My Wideband starts buried at 10.0, but after a second or so, it stabilizes around 11.1 with the alky at 6, and injector duty cycle about 86%.

honestly i havent reviewed my logs either hahaha but its fresh in my memory how it responded, and exactly as you said, it spikes rich then leans out and pulls like a bastard. it's encouraging that someone else is having similar results. i'm gonna review my logs and have an adult beverage or 2. thanks for your input :) also, if it matters for viewing, i have a 3 bar map and autometer wideband (set to plx)

I'm a mental midget with this stuff but sounds like your are getting some good results. Hopefully some of the tune gurus with chime in.:cool:

im having the same experience. I have been tuning for only about 5 hours and have the car running and have done a few wot blasts. trying to get rid of some knock and get the a/f closed loop thing in order.

its a great chip, awesome throttle response and it starts way better it ever has before.

agreed. turbo weather is here for sure, got some much cooler miles in tonight, thing pulls better and better. love your screen name! do you "leave at 10psi on the 2 step" off the footbrake or do you have a transbrake? just wondering. im a fan of the old gs/skylark, definately on my bucket list-

I have the baily 2 step set for 3000rpm and use the foot brake on the line. The turbo usually spools up to around 9 to 11 psi when i let off. I'll send you a log of a run tomorrow.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

agreed. turbo weather is here for sure, got some much cooler miles in tonight, thing pulls better and better. love your screen name! do you "leave at 10psi on the 2 step" off the footbrake or do you have a transbrake? just wondering. im a fan of the old gs/skylark, definately on my bucket list-
this run is on the tt 5.6 chip from last year.

Attachments

• run 4.dat
    72.5 KB · Views: 56
wow that's wild! what kinda tires were you running? i'd like to see a video of a launch like that with the bailey 2 step.

Goodyear slicks. Haven't tried dr's since i rebuilt my posi. I'll get a video on labor day weekend for ya. Hopefully i can get this thing tuned out and sync with the Alky

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app