SD2/Powerlogger Pro general discussion

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Hey folks!! Thought I'd start a general discussion thread for this new system to open the doors for anything SD2/PLpro related. There are several other threads for different facets and were getting a little off subject and otherwise dilluted.
So here's your place to open the discussion as you get your chips and start playing around with them!!

So here's one thing I noticed yesterday while out getting fuel. A hot restart issue. The car cranks and starts just fine, but on one or two occasions just as the engine fired it sorta stumbled down in rpm and then caught and the rpm's jumped way up to maybe 2,000 and then settled back down. I hesitate to call it a stumble, just hard to describe. Had I had my laptop with me I could have caught it but didn't.

Could this be related to "cranking fuel"? And if so, should I go up or down. Right now I have is set to 2.0 (don't know why).

latest VE.jpg

Here's my latest VE. I changed the values above and to the left of the blue box to help a lean cold start issue. Could this be too agressive? So should I go a little negative on the cranking fuel?
So far, enjoying the heck out of this setup! Street drivability manners are supperb, great throttle response.

if you can catch it in a log we can tune it in. The VE table adjustments are fine as long as your warmed-up idle is good.

Bob

Subscribed. Just waiting on my chip to arrive.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

if you can catch it in a log we can tune it in. The VE table adjustments are fine as long as your warmed-up idle is good.

Bob

Just went out to get a couple bottles of "shine", but couldn't reproduce the issue. I did see however that I got a little over zelous with those low VE cells, have to tone them down just a bit.

Just a tip for those trying to figure out how to mount the AIT sensor.

The sensor has the same thread pitch as an O2 sensor. So weld an O2 bung into the up pipe and screw it in.

How are y'all getting the IAT sensor wiring to reach ?

How are y'all getting the IAT sensor wiring to reach ?

If you put it in the up pipe the stock wiring will reach.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2.

I had an extension laying around. I think you can get them from turbotweak or caspers.

Mine is going in up pipe. I just assumed factory wiring would not reach. That makes it easy.

Got the chip installed and running. It's running extremely rich. AFR is in the 10s cruising on the hwy, at WOT, and at idle. I changed param 1 to 110, and the AFR at idle is 13.5 now, and the correction factor is bouncing +-3. Fuel pressure is 43psi. Is it acceptable to pull that much fuel from param cells 5-8?

I was checking a few things and I noticed that my reference voltage is 5.10v. Could this be why it's so rich?

how is the fueling under moderate acceleration?

the stock GM 3bar sensors are a "lowest bidder" commodity, so there is potential for error there. a slightly high reference voltage will shift things some, as will ground offsets.

what is your injector offset set to? what is your injector size set to?

what kind of injectors do you have?

what kind of wideband, and ensure its set correctly on the F3 page.

Bob

how is the fueling under moderate acceleration?

the stock GM 3bar sensors are a "lowest bidder" commodity, so there is potential for error there. a slightly high reference voltage will shift things some, as will ground offsets.

what is your injector offset set to? what is your injector size set to?

what kind of injectors do you have?

what kind of wideband, and ensure its set correctly on the F3 page.

Bob

Fueling under moderate acceleration is rich too, but it's not quite as bad 10.9-11.4 until the alky starts spraying, then it's 10.0.
The injector size is set correctly at 42lb, and IIRC, the injector offset is 24. I have an AEM wideband with a gauge, and the gauge and Powerlogger are showing the same values.

I've had some weird issues with this car in the past. I've done a voltage drop test on the computer grounds. With the key off, the voltage drop is less than .1V, but once I turn the key on and load the circuit, the voltage drop increases to .45V. It might be time to rip the harness apart, and recheck all the grounds.

Instead of taking the idle fuel down that far, I would reduce the injector offset. If it's at 24 now, take it down to 20. That will lean out the idle and low load areas a little. You can go a little lower if necessary. Then you should be able to work the idle fuel parameter back up some.
You can also shift everything leaner by shifting the injector size a little. Put it at, say, 44lb, which will make it leaner.
For alcohol, you will have to tune for that. You could redo all the VE cells when in boost, but the easier way is to use params 7 and 8 to start with. Then go to the VE table for fine tuning.

Eric

Instead of taking the idle fuel down that far, I would reduce the injector offset. If it's at 24 now, take it down to 20. That will lean out the idle and low load areas a little. You can go a little lower if necessary. Then you should be able to work the idle fuel parameter back up some.
You can also shift everything leaner by shifting the injector size a little. Put it at, say, 44lb, which will make it leaner.
For alcohol, you will have to tune for that. You could redo all the VE cells when in boost, but the easier way is to use params 7 and 8 to start with. Then go to the VE table for fine tuning.

Eric

Thanks Eric. I adjusted the injector size to 46lb, and injector offset from 28 to 24 and now cruising AFR is 13.5-14. There are a few tip in lean spots, but it's starting to come together.
WOT is still stumbling rich with the AFRs buried at 10. I'll get the rest of it sorted out then go after the WOT settings. Quite the learning curve on this.

Set to 9.7 to turn ON closed loop and use a target A/F from the PL AFR table.
Set to 9.8 to turn OFF closed loop, but still use a target A/F from the PL AFR table
I have a question could someone explain the difference between the 2 settings , I am not sure what it means

You always need a target AFR to calculate the fuel. It doesn't matter if its open loop or closed loop.
Both of those settings will use the target A/F from the big table in the PL software, but 9.7 has closed loop on, and 9.8 has closed loop off.
Make sense?