You can type here any text you want

Series2 engines VS GN engine? For Hybrids or Non Hybrids.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UR50SLO

The Reaper
I'm building a turbo kit for a customer on his 98 Camaro. It's got a series 2
3.8L in it.
We pulled the oil pan to put the drain line in and found all the main caps were steel and the center 2 had outer bolts on the side of the block that held them in place! NICE!!!

There may be a thread on this already but I was wondering what all the differences between the series 2 and the GN engines are?

Could a series 2 be fitted with GN heads/intake?

There's alot of benifits to going with a series 2 engine it looks like from seeing the internals of these motors... steel mains,factory roller cam to start with.

What all would be involved in using this engine instead of the GN's in a RWD platform? Adaptor plate...? Would that be needed or is the bolt pattern the same?

This could help someone that wants to build a Hybrid but can't find a GN engine... or want to do it cheaper since these series 2 engines are plentyfull and cheap right now.

Just a thought,:tongue:

Thanks, Scott~

As I recall, all the Series 2 or 3 engines will have the 60 degree V6 style bellhousing, so transmission choices are limited. To my knowledge none of the components are interchangeable between the "GN" V6 and the series 2 or3.

I would have to agree with you that the Series 2 or 3 make great platforms for a killer little turbo engine (roller cam, steel mains, improved oiling, etc). Check out INTENSE-Racing: Don't make excuses. Make horsepower. or ZZPerformance for some more info on these. Also check out 3800Pro.com Forum for forums.

The series II and III have a way better oiling system, and the Series II/III oil pump is 100% better than the GN. cross-bolt main caps. one piece rear mail seal. I don`t like the balance shaft in the seires motor.

Thanks for the links.. I'll do some reseach..!!!!

At least I'll know how hard we can push the stock series2 in this Camaro that is now Turbo charged.

Thanks!,
Scott~

Thanks for the links.. I'll do some reseach..!!!!

At least I'll know how hard we can push the stock series2 in this Camaro that is now Turbo charged.

Thanks!,
Scott~

It has been pushed to 150+mph in a 3200lb car! I believe they even used the stock pistons. Sounds like about 950hp to me.

Back