Serious Alky pump issues!

313badbuick

A V6!!!!
Okay now let the funny begin. The other night while coming to a light my car just stumbled alky tank empty light comes on scanmaster throws a mal code 24 AFR goes in the 8's. While trying to figure out and resolve the code 24 issue about 30mins ago I'm the drive way with the car idling looking under the hood all of a sudden the alky pump comes on out of nowhere and empty the alky tank and of course the car runs roughs and stumbles! For sure now I know something is faulty with the alky pump this is the first time the alky pump ever acted this way. Anyone had this experience before and I one thing I know for sure is the alky pump is faulty.

No not at all on having a problem..but is there any way that something is hitting you test button. Is it mounted in an area where something is hitting it?

No not at all on having a problem..but is there any way that something is hitting you test button. Is it mounted in an area where something is hitting it?
No sir. I was looking in the engine bay when this occurred

I would think faulty wiring or MAP signal vs a bad pump.... besides calling Julio for his opinion I would trace the wiring and look at all the connections. I would also suggest you purchase a test kit for future diagnosis.

You can also turn off the system at the knob and see if the pump still turns on by itself and see if the pump is some how getting power (plus to save alky until you figure things out.)

aaron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello everyone. So I'm at a point where I can't make any more power unless I "turn up the boost." Engine is rebuilt. Done all the mods. Car runs awesome @17 lbs with 93 octane. I really want to do an alky system, but everything I read about "Alky control" systems is problematic! I thought It was the best on the market for our cars. Nothing personal against Julio, but there are a lot of issues with using this set-up. I can deal with maintenance concerns, that's to be expected. But when I read about all the problems associated with "Alcohol Injection," It almost seems like It's to much trouble for the limited amount of time It will be used. I live in New England, and I don't go to the track. I wish I could buy a system that would only require general maintenance, and not all of the leaks and things not turning on or not shutting off. Having to deal with one problem after another. It makes for a very "unpredictable" ride. Any suggestions?

If you can turn a water faucet on and off you can handle Julio's Alky... i have had it on 5 TTAs and 1 Ttype, very good bang for the buck.

Julio's system is the best on the market for TBs. It's very easy to install. Any brand injection system will need maintenance, period. You've got 3 choices for octane, E85, alky injection or race gas. All will cost but that's the only way you will be able to safely raise the boost.

Hello everyone. So I'm at a point where I can't make any more power unless I "turn up the boost." Engine is rebuilt. Done all the mods. Car runs awesome @17 lbs with 93 octane. I really want to do an alky system, but everything I read about "Alky control" systems is problematic! I thought It was the best on the market for our cars. Nothing personal against Julio, but there are a lot of issues with using this set-up. I can deal with maintenance concerns, that's to be expected. But when I read about all the problems associated with "Alcohol Injection," It almost seems like It's to much trouble for the limited amount of time It will be used. I live in New England, and I don't go to the track. I wish I could buy a system that would only require general maintenance, and not all of the leaks and things not turning on or not shutting off. Having to deal with one problem after another. It makes for a very "unpredictable" ride. Any suggestions?
Ive had alkycontrol on several cars and been running it since he made the kit.before that I had to build my own.i think once you stop speculating about the kits reliability and run one you will see how good the kit really is and how reliable it can be.its cheap power by far the biggest bang for the buck.the op in this thread has an issue that he should reach out to julio about.ive never even seen this issue of tempting the tank but I think I know why but it's not my place.

That sounds more like a PAC controller issue than a pump issue. How old is the kit? The pump just doesn't turn itself on, the PAC controller does. If it's faulty or isn't installed properly....ie: grounds, proper soldered connections, especially to the green wire at the map sensor. Might want to also check out your map sensor too.

Last edited:
I had a MAP go bad after welding an O2 bung in the downpipe. It went full 5v and the alky was spraying at idle full blast. We caused that issue by being lazy...

Not sure where you got that :poop:
Hello. I got it on this forum. "Alcohol, Nitrous, and Propane Tech." There are a lot of negative posts regarding alcohol injection. I know they make instant horsepower, but dam. I would not feel confident making a long trip, say to "Bowling Green." or down to "Richard Clarks Garage." The last thing I want, is to break down 500 miles from home. This is not a personal attack against Julio. I have spoken to him on the phone more than once, He is very easy to talk to. Also, as I stated earlier, I know there will be maintenance, that goes without saying. I have been back and forth with running " Alky" for a couple of years now. And I am still not convinced that all the bugs have been worked out yet, that's all. And that is too bad because, out of the three choices we have: Alky, E-85, and Race gas. Alky is the least destructive to the mechanical components involved, compared to "Race Gas" [Ethanol Vs. Methanol.] And E-85 is not readily available, unless you buy in 5 Gal. cans which gets very expensive, when you include shipping. All I should be concerned with is rebuilding the "Alky" pump , and winterizing the system, when the car is not being used. And also, very important, keeping an eye on "fuel pressure." Which will alert me to the status of "in-tank" fuel pump. Read the posts. Thanks...

Well, you've made your mind up that alky is unreliable and going to be too much worry for you. Accept the fact that you will not be able to run more boost. The rest of us alky users will gladly accept the little extra maintenance and care for being able to run north of 30psi.

Hello. I got it on this forum. "Alcohol, Nitrous, and Propane Tech." There are a lot of negative posts regarding alcohol injection. I know they make instant horsepower, but dam. I would not feel confident making a long trip, say to "Bowling Green." or down to "Richard Clarks Garage." The last thing I want, is to break down 500 miles from home. This is not a personal attack against Julio. I have spoken to him on the phone more than once, He is very easy to talk to. Also, as I stated earlier, I know there will be maintenance, that goes without saying. I have been back and forth with running " Alky" for a couple of years now. And I am still not convinced that all the bugs have been worked out yet, that's all. And that is too bad because, out of the three choices we have: Alky, E-85, and Race gas. Alky is the least destructive to the mechanical components involved, compared to "Race Gas" [Ethanol Vs. Methanol.] And E-85 is not readily available, unless you buy in 5 Gal. cans which gets very expensive, when you include shipping. All I should be concerned with is rebuilding the "Alky" pump , and winterizing the system, when the car is not being used. And also, very important, keeping an eye on "fuel pressure." Which will alert me to the status of "in-tank" fuel pump. Read the posts. Thanks...
I'm lost with your view. If your happy with 15 to 18 psi then just run straight pump gas. The maintenance is nothing more then common sense. Trust your ability to keep an eye on the vitals. The stories you are hearing are unfortunately from people that think you can set it and forget it. That's not the case in anything in Motorsports. This kit is the best mod for your dollar with the biggest gains at any level of performance. If you think you will be stranded anywhere, disconnect the green wire going to your 5v ref whether that be your map sensor or the lead to it under your passenger side dashboard. That's what activates it. IMO Julio should add the alky tester with this system and add the cost to it. It's a key component that is a MUST have. 90% of the questions on here are based off of something to do with the pump, and/or people that think using the original pump that comes with the kit for 4 to 5 years is a good idea, then come on here asking questions about what do you think the problem is. The secret to success is you, only you. Your only maintenance with this kit is your pump, provided it's installed properly. Test it with the alky tester from time to time, read your logs on pulls you do from time to time, and in the winter drain the alky out of the system and put windshield washer in it, prime the system so it's in the pump to preserve it while your not using it and your golden. I personally replace my pump every 2 years regardless if it's still working well.

I always top up my tank before leaving the garage and I keep a few quart bottles in the trunk so I'll never run low. I've hear more than a few stories of people that don't pay attention to how much alky is in the tank then go out and hammer it and then wonder why they are getting knock. Not the kits fault, operator error.

Always topped of an ready to go here to. Opp should just run it like it is on pump gas. No worrys just drive it. Well untill something screws up.. It is a 30+ year old car. Never know what lurks around the corner ... ewwww... What was that weird noise :unsure: :cry:

Alky works great. I took it off my car because I am going to E85. The only real maintenance for me was replacing the pump a few times over the years and making sure there was meth in the tank. The car is a totally different animal on 25+psi vs 15-18psi.

Keep in mind that people write about problems not when everything’s fine. You’ll probably find 50 happy guys for every one with problems. Personally I couldn’t live without it.

I’d check your wiring .. no issues with his kits in 13-15 yrs