Seville Rear Discs

Buickturbo85

Loves The Buicks
I've done a search on this and can't find much, but I could swear that I read several years ago about 79 Seville Rear Discs working for our cars. Am I just dreaming this? :confused:

I found one in the yard in remarkably good shape...

I used these rear brakes on a 64 chevy I used to own, they seemed to work pretty well. The only problem if I remember correctly is the calipers were some what expensive..You proably could fit them correctly to a g body but you would have to fab your own brackets.. :cool:

There are lot's of kits using this caliper for a rear brake. The problem with this caliper is the emergency brake. You MUST always use the emergency brake as this is how the caliper adjusts for wear on the brake pads. It adjusts when you apply the parking brake.

As far as rear disc brakes goes, they are fair to average in the performance. A good big set of drums will provide more stopping power than this pariticular rear disc brake setup. A fourth generation Camaro caliper setup is a better alternative. Of course the aftermarket setups are better yet but much more expensive!

The Cadillac setup is CHEAP at Pull a Part and will bolt up to your 8.5 rearend. Do a search on the Monte Carlo SS site for more information.

Thanks for the tips, found the info here:
http://www.montecarloss.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001019

Not sure what I'll do. I can score the calipers and brackets for around $30, but if they aren't that much better than drums....

However, 4th-gen F-body stuff is hard to find around here. And everything on ebay seems to have a premium on it. I just don't care for the aesthetics of drums, nor do I enjoy working on them. Discs are much more user-friendly. I'm converting my Syclone drums to 98+ Blazer rear discs right now for the same reasons, and figured I'd do the T while I was at it.

Funny thing, I have owned quite a few Rivieras with those 4WDB's and IMO they are better than the drum brakes. The Riviera uses the same size rotors as the Syclone and the drums are the same 9.5" as the G-body/S&T truck. Nothing wrong with the style of caliper either, they just aren't real race car caliber parts. Fine for the street though. The only problem I have with these type of junkyard swaps are those stupid 3-bolt wimpy flanges on the axle tubes. There aint enough meat back there to be hacking away at just to use those 4 bolt mounting plates.