Shifter cable setup

Farrell5.0

When I got my car, it had a ratchet shifter and hacked up shifter plate. I wanted to go back to the stock appearance so I got a stock shifter from a member on here, new handle and applique overlay.

Anyways, I'm new to messing with automatics, so I'm clueless as to how the shifter cable is supposed to be set up. I got the stock shifter in and ran the cable underneath and got it in the bracket with the clip in place. Now, at this point the end that connects to the transmission is a little over an inch away.

I figure I'll move the bracket to the next set of holes on the oil pan....too far forward. Where it looks like it would work, one hole lines up, and another is blocked. I imagine that if this bracket were factory, everything would like up just right, or am I missing something here?

Also, the pin with the cotter pin that the end of the cable slides onto to connect the transmission, has threads on one side and doesn't fit through the hole where it connects to the transmission.

I feel like I dumbass because I don't know what to call any of these parts lol I'll provide pictures as I'm assuming this is hard to follow. Bottom line is, nothing seems to line up and I don't know what I'm doing.

(Disregard oily mess)

70dbae2623438e3d38cc55cb159e40df.jpg
79a87f02b8f11e229be398986daaef6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The bracket that bolts to the pan rail is not correct. Likely came with the shifter and needs replaced with a stock one. Can't tell from that pic but the bracket that bolts to the shift shaft lever might be wrong also.

Did the cable come with the shifter or is it the cable that was on the ratchet shifter? All needs to be stock, also a cable for a stock three speed car is slightly shorter as well. Has to be from a 200-4r equipped car.

I have to agree, bracket on trans is not stock. Should be easy to find and a better pic of the cable would help.

The bracket that bolts to the pan rail is not correct. Likely came with the shifter and needs replaced with a stock one. Can't tell from that pic but the bracket that bolts to the shift shaft lever might be wrong also.

Did the cable come with the shifter or is it the cable that was on the ratchet shifter? All needs to be stock, also a cable for a stock three speed car is slightly shorter as well. Has to be from a 200-4r equipped car.
Thank you! The cable came with the shifter j bought. Would it be acceptable to modify this bracket to get the cable to connect to the shift shaft, or do I need to try and find a stock one?

Do yourself a favour and get all stock parts. A shift lever not adjusted correctly and eat up a tranny pretty quick. Put a post in the wanted section. Good luck and hope you enjoy the car. BTW stock shifters are just cool.

Do yourself a favour and get all stock parts. A shift lever not adjusted correctly and eat up a tranny pretty quick. Put a post in the wanted section. Good luck and hope you enjoy the car. BTW stock shifters are just cool.
Thanks for the heads up! I found repop cables, haven't found the bracket though, I'll keep looking.

Most repop cables are junk. Do a search here there's been many problems and a couple solutions. You may have the right cable if it's a 4 speed shifter anyway. Get the pan bracket and post a better pic of the lever that moves so we can determine if that's right or not.

Most repop cables are junk. Do a search here there's been many problems and a couple solutions. You may have the right cable if it's a 4 speed shifter anyway. Get the pan bracket and post a better pic of the lever that moves so we can determine if that's right or not.
By "the lever that moves" do you mean the shifter assembly?

No I mean the lever bolted to the shift shaft on the trans that the cable moves. Doesn't look stock from your pic but hard to tell from the angle

No I mean the lever bolted to the shift shaft on the trans that the cable moves. Doesn't look stock from your pic but hard to tell from the angle
Looks the same as the poster above. I think I just need a different pin to connect the cable to it.

I ordered the cable bracket from Mike's montes.
829e83b559804f73cf6c27b0fadde1a6.jpg

Yours is not the same. The stocker has an adjustment where the cable attaches to the arm. Notice the slot in the arm where the cable pin attaches.
It is slotted. Looking back at your pictures, I also finally understand how the pin goes in lol I was trying to put it in backwards and put the cable loop on the wrong side.

Yours is not the same. The stocker has an adjustment where the cable attaches to the arm. Notice the slot in the arm where the cable pin attaches.
Oh never mind, I see the slot you're talking about now. That's interesting, mine is only slotted where the shaft runs through.

Explains the square, carriage style fit at the base of the threads on the pin. So with this arm, this pin doesn't work.

Farrell:
I have a used cable, bracket and shift lever arm from and '84 BQ trans. I can post pics if you're interested.