Shorai Battery Install

0-60n4

After replacing my heavy starter with a new mini starter I decided to look at the battery next. I had the Optima red top. It with the bracket weighed in at 39.0 lbs.

I have been using Shorai lithium ion batteries on motorcycles for years including two 6 cylinder large CC bikes and have been very impressed with them.

I got the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12, 550 cca.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FIUMOG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the
Odyssey Battery Hold Down Kit HK-PC680 with SAE automotive terminals.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Odyssey-Ba...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The Odyssey PC680 hold down kit fits the LFX36L3-BS12 Shorai very well. You will need the Shorai charger and extension cable if you don't drive on a regular basis to trickle charge. They don't recommend normal trickle chargers.

The new Shorai battery, hold down kit, terminals and extension cable weighed in a only 6.8 lbs. That's a saving of 32.2 lbs. off the front of the car. Starts right up just as well as the big Optima did.

Attachments

• IMG_5236.JPG
    IMG_5236.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_5235.JPG
    IMG_5235.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_5237.JPG
    IMG_5237.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 308
That amazon link not working from my end. Check it out

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

$255 is pretty cheap for a lithium battery. It only weighs about 5lbs. Thats a big weight to dollar savings. Keep us informed on it's performance. Interested in seeing how it works with our charging system.

$255 is pretty cheap for a lithium battery. It only weighs about 5lbs. Thats a big weight to dollar savings. Keep us informed on it's performance. Interested in seeing how it works with our charging system.
A lot of the Accura NSX guys use them also. yes, $/lb savings is not bad. They are supposed to be double the life of a regular car battery.

That amazon link not working from my end....

Is there a viglink type of site popping up? Real PITA! Look for the Amazon or E-Bay logo & click on that. There is a way to block the viglink site if you look around at the fine print.

First time I ever hear of viglink but I see what you are saying now. I guess you just have to click on the "continue to amazon" link but yes a PITA ad. I'll look for how to bypass that next time. Thanks,

After replacing my heavy starter with a new mini starter I decided to look at the battery next. I had the Optima red top. It with the bracket weighed in at 39.0 lbs.

I have been using Shorai lithium ion batteries on motorcycles for years including two 6 cylinder large CC bikes and have been very impressed with them.

Good info, thanks for sharing. Have you had any issue with battery drain on your bikes killing the battery? Looks like these batteries don't have a low-voltage cut off. I assume you will be putting it on the trickle charger between uses or disconnecting it?

And yes, please follow up with your results long term.

A lot of the Accura NSX guys use them also. yes, $/lb savings is not bad. They are supposed to be double the life of a regular car battery.
Yup, my buddy is looking at one of these for his Nsx. He's one of those weight saving guy's...I'll keep us posted if he gets it...Mike

I got the Shorai LFX36L3-BS12, 550 cca.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FIUMOG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the
Odyssey Battery Hold Down Kit HK-PC680 with SAE automotive terminals.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Odyssey-Batteries-Battery-Hold-Down-Kit-HK-PC680/162790405276?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The Odyssey PC680 hold down kit fits the LFX36L3-BS12 Shorai very well. You will need the Shorai charger and extension cable if you don't drive on a regular basis to trickle charge. They don't recommend normal trickle chargers.

The new Shorai battery, hold down kit, terminals and extension cable weighed in a only 6.8 lbs. That's a saving of 32.2 lbs. off the front of the car. Starts right up just as well as the big Optima did.

What kind of connectors are those and where did you get them? Please and thank you.

What kind of connectors are those and where did you get them? Please and thank you.
Those are from Auto-Zone. Well, that's where I got mine. Thin gold plating for corrosion resistance.

Funny thing is, if you aimlessly wander around the store, sometimes you may bump into something that is actually quiet cool. :smug:

Yes, the gold connectors are from Autozone. They have several allen head screws for adding multiple wires.

On the drain issue, no my bikes can sit unused for at least a couple months and start right up. They claim a fully charged Shorai can sit on a shelf for a year and not loose its charge. I do connect the charger to them every couple months if they have not been ridden (two are classics so don't get a lot of use). On my GN, I do have something that draws some current because even my Optima would go down after about 3 weeks so I do keep a trickle charger on it anyway.

Have you tried a tester with your GN and pull one fuse at a time until the light goes out. Pretty sure others on here have done that with success.

Have you tried a tester with your GN and pull one fuse at a time until the light goes out. Pretty sure others on here have done that with success.

No, have not done any trouble shooting on the current draw yet. That is something I need to do sometime. Electrical is not my strong point and there has been a lot of electrical changes on this car from previous owners, like stereo, alarm, engine, etc. The wiring under the dash looks to need some work. And it's possible that Optima battery didn't hold a charge good. I have not had good success with Optima batteries and it was on the car when my brother had it.