Should I ditch my poly body bushings for Kirbans rubber?

BuickMike

Money pit
My car handles really well and is as tight as it gets, however I do miss that smoothness that an original turbo Buick gives because I get a lot of vibration and road noise. I have Energy Suspension poly body mounts, HR motor mounts, poly rear control arm bushings, 1LE lower front control arm bushings, and solid upper control arm bushings on my UB Machine arms. Add stiff springs and shocks, and you get the picture. I'm thinking that I need to back off on something and the body mounts make the most sense to me right now. The Energy suspension are 70 durometer and the rubbers are supposed to be 40-45. Do you all thing this would make a good enough difference on noise / vibration? Doing a passenger side rubber motor mount helped, but I want a little more.

"...solid upper control arm bushings on my UB Machine arms."

Do you recall how much road noise this caused?

Nope. I did all of this in one shot. From what I've read, nobody has complained about any of the other stuff I have on my car unless they have poly body bushings or have F bodies, which are unibody.A local guy did these arms and didn't notice any difference. What tipped me off to the body bushings was really that only TTA folks get annoyed by HR motor mounts, however most TR owners don't mind. A friend of mine had the first set of energy suspension body mounts installed on his car and hated them. I'm really thinking that these are more of the culprit than the other items. Just looking to see if others have had this experience.

Did a lot of research on it & went with Kirban's reproduction rubber body bushings for this very same reason.
I'm also running the HR PartsNstuff Poly transmission mount & both HR Parts motor mounts with only a minimal amount of vibration which is really only felt at idle. Overall I am very happy with my decision. Of course my car is only driven on the street (at least at this point in time).

I think I'll get a set of rubber bushings and see how it goes. It is not horrible, however with all the other stiff goodies I get enough vibration and road noise to drown out my subwoofers when I'm listening to the stereo.

Hmmm... Now you have me reconsidering my future plans. I have a urethane body mount kit ( believe it is an Energy Suspension kit ) just waiting to be installed.

Buddy Otto had then poly's on his GN and he swapped em for factory. said it rode like shit!

Hmmm... Now you have me reconsidering my future plans. I have a urethane body mount kit ( believe it is an Energy Suspension kit ) just waiting to be installed.

I love my Poly body mounts and didn't notice any increase harshness when I changed to them. I think changing other parts of your set up would pay greater dividends towards a better ride than the body mounts.

I put in Kirban's rubber body mounts/bushings and that was the best $45 investment I have made on my car. I have HR rear sway bar and upper and lower control arms, with UMI front upper and lower control arms. Lots of squeaks from the front end. Pretty sure it is the control arm bushings. I emailed UMI and they suggested that I make sure all my bushings were greased really good with synthetic grease. Now that the motor is out and it is finally warming up. I plan in doing that. I wish I would have left my stock control arms on. Not a bit of noise when I had all stock setup. When I put the big sway bar on the rear, after a while my rear stock bushings were ruined and started making noise.

Which rode like shit? The poly? Neal Steward also hated the poly mounts.
I'd like to know that answer too. I'm currently on the the fence as to which ones to buy. Granted , mine will see almost no track time and is a bone stone-cold stock low mile GN., except for new aftermarket gas shocks and some chassis bracing.

yea it was a rough squeaky ride. if these cars were carvn corners then I can see the benefit. their not, they go str8 fast and thats it and 95% of the ppl here have street cars and want a better ride. its not gonna effect HP so I jus don't see the point in a harsh uncomfortable ride on the street

Which rode like shit? The poly? Neal Steward also hated the poly mounts.

I have the poly mounts in my car. I did not notice any more vibration than stock, but mine were completely shot. Car is firm, but not too firm. I like it. I went with the black set of mounts though. Not sure how much different they are.

I love my Poly body mounts and didn't notice any increase harshness when I changed to them. I think changing other parts of your set up would pay greater dividends towards a better ride than the body mounts.

Were these Prothane poly's? I've read the Prothane's are slightly softer than the Energy Suspension poly's.
jdpolzin has used these. PM him for his thoughts.

Last edited:
I put in Kirban's rubber body mounts/bushings and that was the best $45 investment I have made on my car. I have HR rear sway bar and upper and lower control arms, with UMI front upper and lower control arms. Lots of squeaks from the front end. Pretty sure it is the control arm bushings. I emailed UMI and they suggested that I make sure all my bushings were greased really good with synthetic grease. Now that the motor is out and it is finally warming up. I plan in doing that. I wish I would have left my stock control arms on. Not a bit of noise when I had all stock setup. When I put the big sway bar on the rear, after a while my rear stock bushings were ruined and started making noise.

Delrin bushings on the front UMI control arms is the winning combination. I've got these on my car and no squeaks and they move freely. Of course I also used the synthetic grease that they recommend. No regrets here!

I installed the black poly bushings in mine and made sure I drove the car right before and right after the install. It is definitely a rougher or stiffer ride in my opinion.

I don't mind the stiffness. It's the increase in transfer of vibration from the motor and road noise. I have the Energy Suspension set. If those of you that like your poly's have Prothanes, please specify. Maybe they are lower durometer.

Just put some rubber bushings under the driver seat mounts. Best of both worlds, problem solved...:whistle:

Just put some rubber bushings under the driver seat mounts. Best of both worlds, problem solved...:whistle:
I don't particularly mind the rough ride in the seat, it's the potential rattles ( glove box , console etc) that I don't want . I really would love to hear from someone that installed the prothane ones. If they had no issues with those, I'd prob go that route...... Otherwise it's kirban's rubber ones.

I don't particularly mind the rough ride in the seat, it's the potential rattles ( glove box , console etc) that I don't want . I really would love to hear from someone that installed the prothane ones. If they had no issues with those, I'd prob go that route...... Otherwise it's kirban's rubber ones.