Should I or should I not purchase this Art Carr converter

gn.87

Time Capsule
I just installed the RJC Racing IC-315 XTF megacooler front mount intercooler, RJC 3” down pipe with test pipe, TT E85 chip, 80lb injectors, E85 converted, hotwire, 3.5” tinman cold air with LS mass air, Caspers volt booster. I am going to order the 6262 Precision turbo. The question is I have a buddy who has a real Art Carr 9” non-lock up converter with the (P) re-stall estimated at a 3000-32000 stall. It has 1k miles on it and is in perfect condition. Should I purchase it for $450 or spend the additional money and get a new PTC 9.5 Non lock up converter or something similar? My goals are to have a high ten sec car but more of a fun street car. Your help is appreciated greatly. I will eventually do heads and a cam but they will remain stock for now.

The Art Carr converter is a good performer and was the standard for turbo Buicks for years(along with a Vigilante). Many people have gone 10's and some have gone 9's with a real AC converter. I do think a PTC is superior to a AC converter mostly in MPH. The AC will have no issues getting into the 10's but may be down a few mph compared to a PTC. If it were me I would probably get the PTC as compared to the AC for $450 but if the AC was $350 it would offer a lot of bang for your buck. I think it will depend on your go fast parts budget.

The Art Carr converter is a good performer and was the standard for turbo Buicks for years(along with a Vigilante). Many people have gone 10's and some have gone 9's with a real AC converter. I do think a PTC is superior to a AC converter mostly in MPH. The AC will have no issues getting into the 10's but may be down a few mph compared to a PTC. If it were me I would probably get the PTC as compared to the AC for $450 but if the AC was $350 it would offer a lot of bang for your buck. I think it will depend on your go fast parts budget.

I will see if the price can be lowered otherwise I will go with a new PTC.

My car is a street car that I run a real Art Carr 9" nl tc in a real Art Carr 200 4R extreme tranny. Soon, I'm about to switch to a different, virgin real Art Carr 9" nl tc with a higher stall. I just need to find the time to install it. I've never had any issues(30k+) with his real tc or tranny. Also, I prefer a nl tc and 9" to any other size. Btw, that's a good price for a real Art Carr tc and it's an animal. You'll pick up by just swapping it in, night and day over what you've got. Guys on here sell higher mileage Art Carr's with more wear and tear for around that same price.

Have you checked out California Performance Transmission, the new home of Art Carr? He builds all his tcs(balanced within 5 grams) in house, in his state of the art machine shop.

Last edited:
I just installed the RJC Racing IC-315 XTF megacooler front mount intercooler, RJC 3” down pipe with test pipe, TT E85 chip, 80lb injectors, E85 converted, hotwire, 3.5” tinman cold air with LS mass air, Caspers volt booster. I am going to order the 6262 Precision turbo. The question is I have a buddy who has a real Art Carr 9” non-lock up converter with the (P) re-stall estimated at a 3000-32000 stall. It has 1k miles on it and is in perfect condition. Should I purchase it for $450 or spend the additional money and get a new PTC 9.5 Non lock up converter or something similar? My goals are to have a high ten sec car but more of a fun street car. Your help is appreciated greatly. I will eventually do heads and a cam but they will remain stock for now.
If you can get the Art Carr cheaper it will be a good purchase. As an in between option I would suggest considering one of my 9.5" 3021 HF NLU converters. It is priced in the middle of the 2 posted and it will give you what you are looking for with future growth. Contact me for more info.

Last edited:
The 9" will offer really quick spool for a good seat of the pants feel. If your trying to take the stock heads and cam into the 10's the 9" will have a lot of slip. They like rpm to couple and a stock cam is done by 5200. If 10's is a longer term goal with heads and a cam change coming, the 9" will work better with that combo. If your looking for 10's with the stock heads and cam, the 9.5 n/l would be better suited.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app