Sitting at the paint shop

rag231

Haven't had any time to work on it yet :(.
image.jpg

Yeah, what kind of glue are using? The stuff I use never sticks, only flypaper.
And don't run over that pipe on the floor there.:woot:

Bruce '87 Grand National

It's the new Mickey Thompsons with special blend VHT on them. I don't know why my iPad flipped the pics over. They are correct on my iPad but upside down on the laptop. Hmmm..

I do apologize for the updates. I though that I had started some updates but I cant seem to find the thread. I will make a long story short and I will include a ton of pictures. Well looking at the pics above starting May 3, 2014 , my car had sat in their paint shop for 5 more months getting parts stacked on it and being shuffled from one side to the other. They were waiting on their blast machine to get fixed, I wanted to take it down to bare metal. I was told the machine was good and that i can start to take apart the car. I took the doors off and started on the fenders. More bad new, the machine went down again and they were going to move, so I had to "temporarily" put it back together again. I got the call in March of 2015 to come and get it to move to the new building, my car never made it to the new building I brought it home. Fast forward to May 2016, I signed up in the Auto Body and Restoration class of the local college and began the paint process myself. I highly recommend anyone with an interest to take the class. It is only $230 a semester and you have an unlimited amount of body shop tools to use. Every welder, plasmacutter, paint , frame machine and hammer that you can imagine. The only thing that sucks and I mean the only thing is that my class is only 2 nights a week for 4 hours a day. From 6-10pm and I travel out of the country a lot so I miss a few classes at a time. You will meet new friends that are working on crazy projects and you will learn alot about your body ( why do my forearms ache so much from sanding, I can do this , I can do this ) and your car's body, didn't know that there were some body filler on my rear quarters and pax mirror area. We do have to pay for paint but you dont have to pay for sandpaper/ supplies, storage, body fillers, welders or the knowledge of your instructors, I bet I use $40 dollars worth of sandpaper a night. We get a killer deal from PPG on all of their products for being students.

OK .....87 TTop GN. 4.1 off center shortblock. TE69 , ANS big valve heads, Eastern Performance roller cam ( built by Schneider) and front mount, 120lb injectors, SEFI8LO, SX Performance fuel system. 9 second car all day from 1998. Not the most efficient but it gets the job done.

Now on to Autobody 101 at my pace.

Common problem areas on t top cars that I knew was going to be my biggest issues. On one pic I had my clamp at the throttle body try to come thru the hood. ( Don't cheap out on clamps, theres's proof.) Another pic shows the paint cracking from a reprint before I got the car. Later , I realized the reason for the repaint.IMG_0509.JPGIMG_0510.JPGIMG_0511.JPGIMG_0512.JPGIMG_0513.JPGIMG_0515.JPG

One thing that I wanted to do was to smooth my bumpers. I have chrome bumpers and black bumpers ( several sets) but I wanted to create 2 sets of smooth and one set of original with the bumperstrip and bumperettes.All I did was hit them with a DA sander, picked up some carriage bolts from Tractor Supply, welded them in, and ground the heads off. Applied body filler and shot with an self etching primer on two sets and the other an Epoxy primer. I have a full aluminum brace going in the rear and export braces in the front bumper.

I did purchase the new Goodmark pax side A pillar piece because of the rust at the very bottom. Still havent used it yet but I was getting repair parts together along the way.

I did have a hood from another roller that I had purchased and wanted to learn a few things and practice on before I had messed with my original. I am not saying that I had wasted a lot of time on this thing but .......I wasted a lot of time on this thing. First experience with a stud gun and the long pneumatic sander.

I literally took a scraping razor blade and scraped the layers of paint off. (I couldnt use any chemical strippers in the class)