Sleeving the 109 Block

ttypewhite

Oct 1, 2001
Toronto
I wouldn't even consider sleeving it. Numbers matching block doesn't mean a thing, especially since it isn't stock and left in a time capsule. Get another block and put your internals in it. You will be much further ahead of the game that way, and also have more money in your jeans too.

Reactions: karst#9

BobbyBuick

May 24, 2001
Beavercreek ,oh
i just ran 40+ LBs of boost though a sleeved motor .#1 HG lifted torched a head and ill let you know the outcome of the sleeve after this weekend #2 is sleeved and compression was over 160PSI

Reactions: Royal-T-Ltd

karst#9

Feb 24, 2003
Russell KS
Visit site
If the cylinder is cracked your wasting your time, mr spool is right. My engine guy i use. one of the best here in kansas tryed to talk me out of sleeving mine but i insisted on doing it, after about 15 passes it cracked the sleeve, i was running 25+ boost maybee it would work at low boost levels but i doubt it. If the cylinder is scored it will work but if its cracked it wont.

BobbyBuick

May 24, 2001
Beavercreek ,oh
If the cylinder is cracked your wasting your time, mr spool is right. My engine guy i use. one of the best here in kansas tryed to talk me out of sleeving mine but i insisted on doing it, after about 15 passes it cracked the sleeve, i was running 25+ boost maybee it would work at low boost levels but i doubt it. If the cylinder is scored it will work but if its cracked it wont.
send me those junk scrap blocks.
it was either pressed to tight or
No torque plate was used or
Mains and girdle were not mocked /torqued or
the wrong sleeve was used

Reactions: turbodave231

earlbrown

runs with scissors
May 26, 2001
lagrange, GA
Your mistake was making someone do a job they didn't want to do.

It wasn't the sleeves fault it failed.

Reactions: turbodave231

earlbrown

runs with scissors
May 26, 2001
lagrange, GA
He didnt want to do it because the cylinder was cracked, thats why he didnt want to do it, he said it wouldnt work and it didnt i know its not the sleeves fault:LOL:

Odd. When a cylinder is cracked, that's the only time I feel the need to sleeve an engine. I guess the zero return rate is pure luck.

Except for tractors and some diesels. Some of those have to be sleeved for every time there's wear or a problem with the bore.

Reactions: ek02

karst#9

Feb 24, 2003
Russell KS
Visit site
Odd. When a cylinder is cracked, that's the only time I feel the need to sleeve an engine. I guess the zero return rate is pure luck.

Except for tractors and some diesels. Some of those have to be sleeved for every time there's wear or a problem with the bore.
He said if the crack is horizontal it is alright to sleeve, if its a vertical crack chances are it wont work. My chances weren't good.

Mr.Spool

Nov 6, 2006
He said if the crack is horizontal it is alright to sleeve, if its a vertical crack chances are it wont work. My chances weren't good.
i wouldnt want to put alot of hp per hole into that kind of repair.your out the repair $$$ and whatever else gets hurt and more down time.

Reactions: karst#9

Mr.Spool

Nov 6, 2006
what kind of power are we talking here?my friends very expensive v8 motor just got hurt and the builder didnt want to do 3 sleeves,just get another 3000 block ;)my builder wont do them on a 109 told me why and i understand,he is a pretty good engine builder;)

Mr.Spool

Nov 6, 2006
i just ran 40+ LBs of boost though a sleeved motor .#1 HG lifted torched a head and ill let you know the outcome of the sleeve after this weekend #2 is sleeved and compression was over 160PSI
how many hits have you had on this sleeved motor?and have you figured out why the head lifted?40psi is my language:)

BobbyBuick

May 24, 2001
Beavercreek ,oh
how many hits have you had on this sleeved motor?and have you figured out why the head lifted?40psi is my language:)
this motor not many hits yet ...ask me next season .Wastegate was seized closed and i didnt lift .its all at machinist now, sleeve is fine .....but the head needs some work
74791175_10220964773332977_89014116332601344_n.jpg
75521854_10220964772052945_7627100411404484608_n.jpg
75264984_10220964771572933_3232587275405623296_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BEATAV8

turbodave231

May 24, 2001
Allenton, MI
I bought my early offcenter stage 2 block knowing that the #2 cylinder had a deep sand pit in the bore. It was a virgin block when I got it. Back in the day when these blocks were plentiful, I'm sure they looked at the pit, set my block in the corner and grabbed another block. I made hundreds of passes without any sleeve issues. To my knowledge, the guy who bought my car is still making low 9, high 8 second passes and has not had to open the engine.

This is strictly my opinion, but I wouldn't want a block with all 6 cylinders sleeved.......unless it is a TA block designed specifically for sleeves.

Earl, I wouldn't say zero return rate is just luck........ rather it highlights the skill level of the person doing the machine work. In my experience, sleeves done correctly are not an issue.

earlbrown

runs with scissors
May 26, 2001
lagrange, GA
I'm getting a kick out of all these anti-sleeve replies. It's like people that don't actually do this stuff think a sleeve is made out of shredded pieces of Reynolds Wrap squished together like OSB flooring boards.

It's a cast iron shim (most likely with better grain structure) that's backed up by the original cylinder wall. Once it's installed and topped (or better yet, decked) you can't even tell it's there.

I'm probably going to skip going to the shop tonight because it's cold, but I might make a series of pics or a video showing a sleeving operation... old school, no CNC, no lab conditions, no nothing special. Bore a hole, measure a depth, part the sleeve, freeze it, drive it home. Top it, bore it, hone it. The end. No rocket science needed.

..and for those that think out puny little boosted engines are too much for such a ''repair''... it's nothing compared to a turbo Cummins diesel in a piece of heavy equipment or a tow vehicle. Or a turbo diesel tractor being driven by someone that doesn't own it.

Reactions: Marty Fairchild