You can type here any text you want

Solid roller cam question.......

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cheeseburger

I am curious as to how many have ordered a solid roller cam and got it with an unmachined nose?
Just curious if that is common practice.
Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 106_0613.jpg
    106_0613.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 511
Might as well delete this thread, picture might be usefull for someone's future referance though.
Thanks.

Mike,

The one on the left is machined for a Duttweiler type thrust plate.

Neal

Thanks Neil, i own both of them....
The one on the left came out of my motor, the one on the right is a brand new turbo cam for stage II heads.
I had to take it to a couple machine shops to get it turned down.
Its a good thing i had the old one to copy!

Mike, the cam on the right is the same one that came with my engine when i first bought it, it came from weber that way. After having some cam gear issues, Dan set me up with a system that looked similar to the one on the left.

Fred, you must have had issues because the cam needs to be machined down.
The snout is raw, the way the blanks are from comp.
I guess the point of this thread could be to make sure you get your billet cam ready to install and not unmachined to avoid headachs and running around.

Fred, you must have had issues because the cam needs to be machined down.
The snout is raw, the way the blanks are from comp.
I guess the point of this thread could be to make sure you order your billet cam ready to install and not unmachined to avoid headachs and running around..

How bout some Pics of What you are working on for us Poor Folk that can't play with the Big dogs :D

There are a few different front end setups for Roller cams,each has its own way to be machined.

The one on the left has an odd fire nose. It is used in conjunction with a Danny Bee Retention plate. There should a small notch in it to oil the retention plate.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The one on the left has an odd fire nose. It is used in conjunction with a Danny Bee Retention plate. There should a small notch in it to oil the retention plate.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

It is not machined for a DB plate the o.d. on the DB is 1.374 which means
it would have a step. It has a roller thrust assembly that was used on the
Busch engines which I believe what Mike is working with.

Imo

You need all your pieces--cam gear--fuel pump eccentric--timing chain gear before any machining is done. The snout comes long and must be machined the exact length so the stack up is loaded by the front bolt. All I have seen come unmachined .

Im working on my cam setup right now. The normally aspirated cam that was in my motor when I got it has been machined to accept a thrust washer but its just a washer no bearing. Is the thrust waser sufficient or do I need something else? I am using a double roller chain. Thanks and good thread.

Here is my solid roller cam set-up.

98ac.jpg

18b3re2-1.jpg

We had to use the billet roller cam from the buick 3800. Then i had my friend shaun grind it to the TR spec (.620 valve lift).

You should contact shaun tiede, He is a camshaft professional. You can do a search on this forum for his PM/e-mail addres

stiede@austin.rr.com , his e-mail address.

T.A. performance sells all the hardware to complete the cam installation.

For Reference: Gear Drive Configuration.

Someone have a picture of a gear drive cam snout?
To cover another option. :cool:

Someone have a picture of a gear drive cam snout?
To cover another option. :cool:

The camshaft on the right in the first post would be the one used with a geardrive. I think I machined the OD lip of that large flange down a bit for some assembly ease.

Back