Son of ....Block.

bpman1234

Jan 24, 2011
south florida
Get studs and clean Threads in the block and studs with acetone and set the studs in. The block side with the right stuff Sealer make sure you clean the xtra sealer at the stud you Dont want it sloppyput the head gssket on tthen the head and molly and torque.

Chuck Leeper

8/10's of a century!
Staff member
May 28, 2001
Madison, Ga.
I discovered that both sides of the engine block #5 and #6 lower head bolt holes are opened (i assume cracked) allowing coolant to free flow into them from the coolant port
Not sure what you mean by "opened". If they are cracked, then the block is junk.
If it's just coolant leaking due to poor seal on the threads, then a reseal should be good to go.
Studs.. I use Permatex #2, thread the studs in by hand. {Newer ARP's have Allen wrench holes in them.}

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Oct 31, 2007
Not sure what you mean by "opened". If they are cracked, then the block is junk.
If it's just coolant leaking due to poor seal on the threads, then a reseal should be good to go.
Studs.. I use Permatex #2, thread the studs in by hand. {Newer ARP's have Allen wrench holes in them.}
I'm thinking he meant the bolt holes are bored through into the coolant passages.

I believe several are, but I don't know which ones.

earlbrown

runs with scissors
May 26, 2001
lagrange, GA
The head bolt holes hit water. They require sealant on the CLEAN threads (and a GM seal tab in there for good measure).

I'm more interested in the ''cleaning'' your decks received... If they got hit with a ziz wheel to a 'uniform shiny', or made ANY contact with a sanding belt, DO NOT even attempt to run an MLS gasket on that whoop-do-do surface. If the surface isn't precision machined smooth, stick with the thick factory composite Victor Reinz head gaskets.

If your deck (and heads) don't look like this...

...you're going backwards and wasting money on head gaskets.

When done right, the head seal will be good enough to bust pistons without leaking a drop.

Attachments