spare tire mounting hardware-mysterious piece

6gunn

high on gas fumes
Hi all, I have all the components for the spare tire mount(other than the spare itself) and have found a piece that someone has in an eBay auction, yet this isn't shown in the diagram of the spare tire mounting. It's the large metal wingnut piece. Is this included in the GN spare tire mount hardware or did someone just include this thinking it was? Is the plastic round piece(#7) sufficient to hold the spare in place?
Diagram: http://perfauto.tripod.com/images/8-052.gif
eBay auction pic: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/PiUAAOSwTuJYu39M/s-l1600.jpg

From looking the pic on e bay was a made piece , the round part in the diagram #7 is the correct one .

Oh and GOOD LUCK installing it , let us know how it goes . They say only Dennis Kirban , Richard Clark and God knows how to install it and they ain't talking LOL

the large wingnut is not for GN , it was used on earlier years but replaced by the plasic knob that has a recess in the top which aided in removing and tightening the smaller metal wingnuts for the jack and also can be used to remove the plastic tail lamp nuts

kirban 2 cents worth.....as someone noted in this thread at best 3 people in the turbo regal world can put the jack in the trunk like Buick did originally profanity alone won't get it done toughest part is trying to adjust jack so you can wedge the wrench end securely...or simply throw the wrench out and just secure the jack minus the wrench or duct tape the wrench to the jack as the spare hides it and nobody will know the difference.

You gotta do it all by standing on the passenger side of the quarter panel and leaning over and member the cardboard filler goes under the carpet....the black plastic knob secures the j hook and as noted is slotted to undo the 2 wing nuts both studs are different sizes also. can't member rite off which stud goes where...

trick is to sand and paint base of jack so it will appear to have never been used.....I detail now several cars a week that I been buying with local used car dealership and 9 out of 10 times the spare is not secured in the trunk...so I get a real lessen on how various car companies secure jack and spare in trunks....

the GN I just bought and sold believe it or not spare and jack never been out of the car truly amazing....and thank goodness as I am alittle rusty at doing installs....oh by the way the decal directions for jack on the trunk lid is useless besides not on the lid straight and probably has bubbles....

not sure if they do it anymore but at the national level for BMW car shows participants have to remove everything from their trunk including the jack and spare....can you imagine if that same rule applied to turbo regals....what a nitemare.....that would create.....for owners....

Just a bit of humor....

Thanks for the help guys. I originally had the jack in backwards, but that diagram straightened me out on that. One thing I noticed once getting the jack in correctly was that there is only one bolt securing it at the top...and the jack is situated in a way that causes it to droop down a little even after you tighten the wingnut. Doesn't seem like the best way to secure the top part of the jack. Hopefully I never have to remove it again. Just got the trunk carpet and filler panel from Kirban(thanks again Dennis), so once I get a spare, the trunk will be a little easier on the eyes.

Last question. Are there any other cars that share the same size spare as the GNs? T155/80/D16

if you are going to actually drive the car and expect the spare to be functional, I would replace the original. I thought the spare was good, why would one not, right, and was sadly let down. I had a flat, put the donut on and made it about 15 feet before it was on the rim too with a big crack in the sidewall.

I have a T wheel with I think a 195/55-15 off an hhr as a 215/65/15 doesn't fit and enable the deck lid to close. Not exactly the height but close and way better than a thirty yr old donut.

AAA as a backup. I have the original donut that I keep inflated to the correct presure. Don't drive too far from the house as a rule but thought in a worst case scenario would get me home. Good to know it's not very reliable even if it's never been used.

if you have to use a spare on the rear and have a posi ... the spare needs to be the same height of the other rear tire

if you have to use a spare on the rear and have a posi ... the spare needs to be the same height of the other rear tire
Good point as I have a posi & was not sure the spare is tall enough to support a 255/60/15 tire mounted on the original rims on the rear. I thought the overall height was close enough but not worth damaging the rear.

Donut like 26" and the 255 about 27". How long a run you gonna make? The donut isn't meant for much over 50mph and I would hope you aren't running it daily for another month like some seem to do.

Donut like 26" and the 255 about 27". How long a run you gonna make? The donut isn't meant for much over 50mph and I would hope you aren't running it daily for another month like some seem to do.
Yeah the spare tire has never been out of the trunk much less mounted. The car is never more than 40 miles from the house but I would still be worried about the 1 inch difference in height doing damage to the posi if one of the rear tires went flat on me. To be safe I think I would still use AAA to get me back home.

If you never go more than forty miles I doubt the posi will see any wear either way.