You can type here any text you want

Spiro locks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cheeseburger

How do you get them on???????
Yes i know what JE says, but after 45 mins all i have is thumbs that feel like i am getting blisters and starting on lots of swear words!:mad:
If i do get it slightly starting they are so tight i can't spin them in.

Well that job is done now, the link i posted really helped....good for anyone installing these in the future.
JE's instructions say to spiral them into place, like screwing them into a groove.....which is impossible i.m.o. to spin them in.
I did do these a few years back but must have forgot the "technic"!

You're doing double spirolocks, right?

Yes 2 on each side.

Hey Otto, yah my memory is not the same...that's forsure!
Lot's of stress is doing me in i think, the last few years ever since i went through a bankruptsy....
Could be age related as i am pushing 40,lol.:eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :tongue:

To install the spiro-lock into the piston pin hole. First you have to pull both end of the spiro wire into a 1/4in tall spring. using a needle pick, walk the spiro-spring-lock into the groove. By pulling both end of the lock into a spring. the out side diameter is reduce about .010, once the spring is stack into the piston groove, it will retain its orginal diameter.

:biggrin: . This required alot of time, so be carefull with the needle pick. don`t forget to use some oil.

I saw this in the January 2008 issue of Circle Track magazine. Precision Engine Service - The Lock In Tool - A Tool To Make An Unpleasant Job Easier — Home
704.843.5477 has a special tool for this. Having the right tool for the job is a great asset even if you do not do a lot of them. My $0.02, time is $$$, so the time I spent messing with the locks, I could have bought the tool and be done with it. And it would be a whole lot easier the next time the engine gets freshened.

Now if I can figure out how to scan and post the article...have to really reduce the scan resolution to post. Each page is a separate file. I hope it's useful information...

Attachments

If you follow JE's directions you won't have any skin left on your fingers! Those directions are misleading.

Nice job Ken. I needed a good chuckle.:biggrin:

If you plan to use 2 spiro locks per side, which is the preferred method, the pistons have to be spec'd for it.

Back