Part Nos/ parts to purchase

Hot Air Beast

Hot Air Lover
Looking for part numbers for the following:

Rear defroster switch - possibly 25515822
Instrument panel dimmer switch - possibly 1995255 (DS 691)

I am looking to verify the numbers before I start to search to buy. Reason - example - dimmer is shown as Standard DS 843 on one site and as DS 691 on another. Don't want the hassle of ordering and then returning.

:rolleyes:

Hi Phil,

use rockauto dot com as a starting lookup service. multiple brands, OE part # references, and part images although pics may be generic catalog images.

smpcorp.com is the parent company for STANDARD. under the BRANDS tab, you will have full access to e-catalogs of all the brands under the SMP umbrella - STANDARD, BWD, Echlin (and mileage plus), Four Seasons, Hayden, Blue Streak, OEM, GP Sorensen, etc. buying out their competion over the years. as you stated, once you confirm part #'s, then you can figure where to buy.

below may also help - mostly compiled stuff from the gnttype dot org site specific to 84-85
http://dave.h-body.org/HOT AIR TURBO.htm

and below is the BUICK 44W crash book that someone has graciously provided previously. ;)
http://perfauto.tripod.com/indexpage.pdf

Thanx Tony - I did use Rock Auto to start with. Nice to know who the parent is. I had seen the GN/T Type stuff a hundred years ago - thanks for providing it for current memory. Drawing a blank on the rear defrost and dash dimmer, so far.

Thanx again.

just looked up stuff in that 44W link I noted in above post. section 10 INSTRUMENT PANEL is shown but not linked. so I looked that up in my own 44W book. 84-87 regal parts should be the same...

Rear defroster switch is noted as 25515822
Instrument panel dimmer switch is noted as 1987383. don't know about the number you found - 1995255 (DS 691)

enter part numbers on oemcats.com to learn equivalents and/or superseded numbers.

expand the search vehicles to 84-87 Regals as well as the other g-bodies and probably the other GM cars of the period probably used all those same switches.

OR

there are plenty of OE parts in the salvage yards. and you'll be driving past hundreds of them on your way home. find parts and locations on car-part.com

Very much appreciated Tony. I sourced the headlight/parking light switch and the rear defrost relay from Rock Auto and they are on the way to me. The dimmer from Rock Auto does not fit an '84, according to them.
So I will continue my search for the dash lights dimmer and the rear defroster switches.

Thanks so much for your time and effort. I will catch you up if I ever find them.

No luck at all with oemcats.com - Regal doesn't even register with them.
Highways stars shows a standard part as DS 691 as a dashboard dimmer switch for $60 so I will source there if nothing else turns up.

I have started taking the Amtrac Auto Train both ways so 1/2 of the U-pull-it yards are eliminated - lol

I just searched on 25515822 and lo and behold - it shows up in oemcats.com for 43.24 - YEA!!!!

Guess my search is over.

OEMCATS was the worst experience ever - very hard to checkout. Finally went direct to the one of the 9 sites with the part and tried to order direct from them - no go!!! Did a new search and came up with Jim Ellis dealership in GA and order went through smoothly with a cheaper shipping price than I was going to be charged by the company through OEMCATS. Go figure - anyway not I get to sit back and wait for the part.

it's got to be less stressful taking the auto train!

glad you found one, anyway. I primarily use oemcats as a lookup reference relation tool to other possible part numbers and part number history. I think, as you found, a lot of the so called inventory records to buy parts are old and just not updated. with the part # and any superseded or earlier existing listed part numbers is where I transition to internet browser search results directly rather than following the links from oemcats or other non-direct links. everyone has their own methods for internet searches. sometimes takes a good amount of time to find what you're looking for.

one day I'll share my quest for a GM part that I've been seeking since the mid-1990s. Many of our turbobuick vendors said that part is long gone - that I'll never find it. Well, last year I found an inventory of them. I'm convinced GM made a database error in listing the part # that replaced the OE number in the early 1990's. It was like moving heaven and earth to buy them back through GM. The crazy side story is that GM continued to produce this part until January 2014! the inventory I purchased was packaged the 354th day of 2013! so I can share the trials and tribulations of searching.

I am sure we have similar stories. I have been chasing a part for my C68 AC system called a Temperature door actuator motor. I got the part numer from a GM parts guy back in the early '90s and have never been able to find it. I have a touch screen electronic climate control system.

Oh, I know C68. I'm just a schlub with a regular C60, lol. all kidding aside, that digital touch control unit is really nice but there are many actuator doors and mechanisms to keep clean and operational, as you know. they don't like to sit without operation for long periods of time. I may know something about what you're looking for. it will take some time though, but I'll make a mental note about it.

ooooh rare parts now you got my attention.. but you had me at hello :LOL:

thank good ill never need a defrost switch .. but I think I have a spare ;)

Last edited:
Phil, found something for you. sent a PM with the details...