Stage 1, ta performace alum heads, blowing smoke and oil out of both breathers after fresh rebuild. less then 300 miles on engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulose2av6

On start up the car rumbles a little off idle, drive around while it warms up it blows blue smoke once its warmed up seems like the smoke stops but then I have to clean up the mess in engine bay because of the oil everywhere. stock pcv, I was told by a builder to try the rjc one that made my car run like crap. Car has been sitting for awhile weather has been horrible. Does anyone know how I can post video?

Did you rebuild the engine or refresh the heads? Sounds like it's a bottom end issue not a issue with the heads

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Like the above thread says.Oil and smoke coming out of both breathers Drivers side worse. wont allow me to post video. I am having startup issues the car blows smoke till its warm then it seem ok till you open hood and oil all over the place. I was told use a rjc pcv valve etc. that didn't work made blm go 90. put stock back in went to 120.

Time to take it to the builder. Sounds like it's going to get pulled.

here is the build 3.8 stage 1,3.625 forged steel crank,.6.5" rod, pistons were only thing not replaced. I agree something clearly not right, blow by is not normal correct?

Was the rings replaced and was the bore cleaned honed bored?

What bore finish and what rings? How much did he take out of the bore and what's the clearances at now

Dam that sucks . How did u break it in ? Did you get some pressure to the rings to let them set ? Anyway you go about it you ether A : Buy a catch can setup and put up with oil everywhere or B: take it back to the builder or you pull the motor and re ring it or re do the heads . Do you have any specs ? Like what kinda ring gap did he use ? What kinda pistons ? Material? 2618? . Before you do any of what I suggested you need to do a leak down test that will tell you where it’s leaking from . It’s as easy as a compression test just with a regulator and some compressed air . You could get lucky and it could be leaking from your valve steam seals which would be better then having to re ring it imo . Keep us posted and good luck

Pistons were not replaced. Which I don’t know why they weren’t, a plateau hone was done and re ringed. Heads checked out ok. I have never been more sorry in my life bringing a perfectly good engine to get done because I wanted to swap out the heads and freshen it up. I will call tomorrow and see what the builder says.

Status
Not open for further replies.