Stage 2 block

rag231

After many many years of chasing down my stage 2 parts from a machine shop that kept having to move for various reasons I have got 2 of my blocks back. One question is about the 6 bolt mains. How common is it just on the center 2 vs. the center 2 + front vs. all? These 2 blocks are both on center. My next question is about cranks. I have an off center shortblock with a 3.4 stroke crank, the bore is 4.005 , am I leaving any hp on the table by not switching to my either of my stroker cranks. I will be running stage 2 heads on this and when this motor was built before, 8500+ rpm was no problem. Take the high rpm route or the lower.

There are 3 versions of the on center blocks. First was the 2 bolt outer, 4 bolt center, then 4 bolt front, rear, center. The latest, and most rare are 4 bolt outers (cross bolted), and 6 bolt center.

The smaller the motor more efficient it is, but the trade off is torque. However , do what you can afford to do...........either can be made to work.

Yeah I have one with all caps that are 6 bolts. IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG

The front and rear cap should only have 4 the middle two have 6 bolts. If you've got one with all 6 bolt caps please post a pic of the bottom of the block.

THX

Neal

The front and rear cap should only have 4 the middle two have 6 bolts. If you've got one with all 6 bolt caps please post a pic of the bottom of the block.

THX

Neal
Yeah...I've never seen splayed front or rear main.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I stand corrected the front and rear are 4 bolts each. The main caps for the blocks were tie wrapped together in the pics that were sent to me. Time to find a new machine shop. I am done with that one!