You can type here any text you want

Steering box diagnostics help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PaulRV6

I'm trying to determine if and what could be causing the inside of the tires to be hitting the frame when turned inward (on each side). It seemed like when the steering wheel is locked I have a fair amount of play in the steering. Not sure if this is the problem with the tires hitting but I thought I would ask. The front end components are all new except for the steering and I don't remember it hitting before. This is with the front wheels off the ground on jack stands.

paul

Steering box with not cause this you have other issues.

Well ok, I am using stock 86 GN wheels with P235/60R 15 tires, BF Goodrich. Never noticed this problem in the past and most of the front end components are newer. Thanks

paul

p215 are stock tires...my 16's rub on lock to lock turns.

Steve, these are 15" tires not 16". Something might be loose but I can't think of what it could be.

So there is no play in the steering box itself? There is adjustment if you have play.
Maybe the rubber bushings in the control arms are shot
or they have enough give to allow a wider than stock tire to rub
under pressure in turn.

P215's are stock size p235's are bigger, possibly that is your issue. Yes I am aware yours are 15's. The steering should be limited by the steering stops on the lower control arms not the box,therefore the box is not the issue:)

So there is no play in the steering box itself? There is adjustment if you have play.
Maybe the rubber bushings in the control arms are shot
or they have enough give to allow a wider than stock tire to rub
under pressure in turn.
Play in the box would not cause steering rub ever.

I just looked at my GN and I see the stop to which you refer, I didn't know it was there, thanks for that.
But the control arms have rubber bushings which can flex. If the tie rod is pushed against the stop
but play in the steering box allows the wheel to be pulled further because of play,
couldn't the rubber bushing flex enough to rub? Where if there were no play in the steering box,
the control arm's bushings could not be pulled because the tie rod is holding it and there is no play in the steering box.
The poster mentioned play in the wheel when up against the locks.
I'm just trying to give him things to look for.
In any case, there should be very little or no play in the steering box.
If there is it should be fixed. Would you agree?

If the control arm bushings are flexing enough for tires to rub there are issues. I Believe all his front end is new so that should not be his case. Slop in the wheel can come from the rag joint on the shaft which is commom. But none of those should result in tire rub unless larger(wider) tires are installed or front suspension is altered with non stock components..ie spindles....control arms...etc.. FWIW I have aftermarket arms, S-10 brakes on mine and yup wheels can run at a full turn...which I seldom ever do. It not correctable in my case.

Back