Steering Column Theft cover

Gnx6

I'm trying to find a steering column cover for an 87 GN. I have seen them before but am not having much luck finding one. Here is the one I did find:

http://www.affsave.com/stead.htm

Has anyone seen any others? Do these devices work fairly well? I've seen them come in on some of the Ex-Rental cars from Quebec on cars with the same style column. They were a different brand and appeard to have a nicer fit. They were also grey which made it much less noticable. I'd love some input, thanks guys/gals.

I use the removable red ones. I also have a few spares of them if you're interested. Never had a problem with one except when I uh lost the keys. :(

-Matthew

I just got one at Pepboys. Around $49 I think. It seems to fit really well. Keys fit a little tight at first, but otherwise pretty easy to put on and take off.

I have one from Kirbans too. Fits good. Only thing I hate about them is that they scratch the steering column easily:mad: ....wish they would put some foam on the insides to prevent scratching the column

The Steadfast column guard is one of the best ones. The ones that clamshell over the column are nice and extremely effective, but as mentioned, they scratch the paint and sometimes you just don't bother to put it on. Also, do you really want a 5 pound steel clamshell bouncing around the back seat of your car or your trunk while you're driving?

Some of the guards only cover small areas...make sure you get one that covers the entire D/S of the column, near the stalks as this is the favorite place to punch.

$150 is pricey though...I wonder if they're available cheaper?:confused:

Not quite what you asked about, but I've been using the Grant removable steering wheel adapter:

http://www.grantproducts.com/grant.fm$retrieve?seqnum=117669&html=grantdetail

Drawbacks are that it requires a Grant wheel to work with it, and it extends the wheel out a little more. But it's kind of fun to have, and I get to save my original leather wheel from abuse.

I've got the CarGuard (clamshell) column cover as well, and yeah it's a pain having it roll around on the back floor.

Hey Hutch, a word of caution about the grant anti theft system, I used to have one on my camero and I liked it alot, till the steering wheel fell in my lap.

I was on lunch at the time and had to get back to work, I took a quick look at the adapter that goes on the back of the wheel that locks in the colum and saw the little screws had pulled out, seeing this and not having any way to fix it I just started the car and drove to work just by holding on to the Grant lock, Thank God it was only a couple of miles.

So what I am getting at is, it is a neat system but it is still very easy to steal and drive away, but it does get alot of looks carring around your steering wheel.

I know I did I had the wheel in one hand, pull out stereo in the other, and a big bag of cds over my shoulder walking through the mall

I have a red removeable one, i never leave my car for more than 5 mins without it.
good luck
mike

Thats the one I had, it was a red cover that you put on after you took the wheel off.

The part that the srews pulled out from, was the part that you had to attach to the back of the wheel

i've got one of the removeable red ones. Its really annoying puttin it one an takin it off, but its for the best. Plus it lets the car cool off a bit. I'm in the process of getting a grant system and an alarm just for good measure.

The Steadfast will come off with a hammer and a punch set. Prolly take a half hour or so.

New install kit necessary to put it back on, doesn't cost much.

Only thing you couldn't fix with it on there is probably the IGN switch itself.

Everything else I think you can get at. :)

Get one that uses a Medco Lock..

I've got one that I've used for 10+ years. I'm not sure of the brand name but I can get back to you with it if you haven't bought one yet. Reading through the posts I see one complaint is it scratching the column. The one I have has a rubber trim ring where it contacts the column. I also opted for the Medco lock which was a $100 option. It's "Un Pickable, Un Popable, Un Beatable"! Only thing is if you lose the key you're sh!T out of luck!
I bought it a week after my car was stolen several years ago.. The thief bust through my column. I got lucky and my car was recovered, it was a mess but I got it back. Now anytime I'll be gone from it for an extended period the collar goes on. For short stops I let the alarm and anti theft chip do the job. Bottom line is even with all these devices if someone wants it bad enough they are gonna take it...

Can't remember exactly which board member it was (I'll post the link when I find it) but one of our members almost had his car stolen recently with one of the removable column locks on it. He caught the guy trying to take it I believe and said that it looked like he had popped the cover off with 3 prys from a screwdriver. I've heard good things about the steadfast collar though.

Oh, this would probably get more views in General Buick tech.

-Jade

Thats right JadeMonkeyStang, I caught the low-life in the act, and it did come off the only 3 prys. Ive been looking at the steadfast and it looks like its worth the extra 100 or so bucks. But the only thing I was wondering, does the steadfast do anything to prevent someone from ripping out the ignition switch (key switch) and starting it that way?

That's the whole purpose of the steadfast, there is metal all around the switch mount. :)

Oh. I see. I was just wondering, becasue after they pryed off the coller on my car they broke the steering column on the Drivers side and started it that way. Thanks for the response.