STi Didn't Race, and Probably Wouldn't Want To, After Seeing Me Go...

Terbro

Has Member
Here in my town of Fountain, CO...there isn't a lot of traffic by 9 pm. I just got my TR back last week with the new built trans installed and have yet to race anyone! The other day, I'm on my way to Walmart, and hit an intersection taking a left in the pole position, to find an STi with 3 younger guys in it. They look at me, and probably don't know what they're looking at. It's charcoal grey, chrome bumpers...no emblems. No body molding on the front. The only indication it's not just an '80's era Regal is the bump on the hood, aluminum wheels and fatter tires. My SS Pypes dual exhaust is not loud at idle.

Light turns green, and I start giving it some gas. They didn't bite at all. I've got 60# injectors, and can't WOT it beyond 1st, so I just keep it at about 80% throttle, but I'm gone. She was running STRONG on this ~50-55 degree night. With Nitto DR's, I'm conscious that I don't want to lose it as I'm taking the left turn onto the highway. Perfect, but it did pitch back and forth a bit. Anyway, all I knew was that they were a spec in my rearview a few seconds later, probably not knowing what the hell was up with this relatively quite car that was long gone in no time flat. A couple minutes later, they obviously made efforts to get through the traffic (it was all clear at that 1st intersection) just to give me a thumbs up...and probably to get a 2nd look at my car.

I've owned two STi's, one of which had a lot of bolt on's, and put down 285 AWHP. My '87 TR, even now, un-dialed in, with too-small injectors, would blow that STi away.

Well, not such a great story...but one day I'll actually race someone and have a nice kill story to post!

Attachments

• DSC01896-lr.jpg
    DSC01896-lr.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 258
Glad to hear your enjoying it finally Terry.

Right...after a few months! Got 80#ers and a Turbo Tweak chip on order...should be what I need to run the 20+ lbs boost (been flat into 2nd and 3rd gear). But hey...I'll be looking for a car show or cruise...so let me know if anything comes up. Sorry...it was Victor, right?

No kill, no story allowed!!:D:p

Well, maybe not. I wondered if it was. What's "fish" mean? I noticed the section was "kill/fish". I figured it qualified, because I was "fishing" for a race??? haha... Boring story, I know. Just excited to get my car back...and impress the hell outta some dudes on the road. ;)

Are you running e-85? Is that why you can't get in it fully and need 80 pound injectors?

I like reading everyones stories here. I'm sure you will have more to share when you get out driving more now with the new trans in the car.

Especially when they have their car running good.

Congrats on having it looking and running good. (y)

Are you running e-85? Is that why you can't get in it fully and need 80 pound injectors?

Exactly. And the 80#ers I ordered just came in today. Now just waiting on the Turbo Tweak chip I ordered yesterday. I understand Eric (@TT) is busy and it'll take 7-10 days for him to ge the chip out. With shipping time, it might be 2 weeks before I get the chip. So I get to look at these sweet 80#ers on my desk for 2 weeks...and hope...and dream....of power throughout 2nd and 3rd gear...and more boost...23 psi+. ;)

They probably noticed that your car is so fast that it blew the bumper fillers apart.

I can't get any action either.

Right...just a consequence of the velocity. ;). I fixed that one area below the lights, next to the grill...since the pic was taken. But I just bought late last year, and it's still in the cosmetic condition I bought it in, which isn't so hot. Filler isn't attached in several spot. The interior is in pretty bad shape...especially the upholstery and carpet. So...I got me some cosmetic restoring to do, inside and out.

Right...just a consequence of the velocity. ;). I fixed that one area below the lights, next to the grill...since the pic was taken. But I just bought late last year, and it's still in the cosmetic condition I bought it in, which isn't so hot. Filler isn't attached in several spot. The interior is in pretty bad shape...especially the upholstery and carpet. So...I got me some cosmetic restoring to do, inside and out.
Still looks badass, I'd run it just like that and beat up on the high dollar junk then talk smack about beating them with a ugly V6. Lol.
Stupid question alert-- why not go straight to 120s?
I have 120s and a TT chip, my car drives 1000% normal. Idles just fine and it DDs just as fine.

We should have a thread of 'no kills'. A few weeks ago I tried everything to tempt a Yamaha R6, but he wouldn't bite. I finally just hammered down and took it to a quick 125 MPH. He probably knew he was out-gunned.

Exactly. And the 80#ers I ordered just came in today. Now just waiting on the Turbo Tweak chip I ordered yesterday. I understand Eric (@TT) is busy and it'll take 7-10 days for him to ge the chip out. With shipping time, it might be 2 weeks before I get the chip. So I get to look at these sweet 80#ers on my desk for 2 weeks...and hope...and dream....of power throughout 2nd and 3rd gear...and more boost...23 psi+. ;)
Cool! Make sure you get a tester for e-85. Happy boosting :)

Still looks badass, I'd run it just like that and beat up on the high dollar junk then talk smack about beating them with a ugly V6. Lol.
Stupid question alert-- why not go straight to 120s?
I have 120s and a TT chip, my car drives 1000% normal. Idles just fine and it DDs just as fine.

Right. When I bought it, it came w/o the black body molding in the front, which would hide the FMIC pipes. Normally, I would think - got to have 'em. But since it doesn't, in one way...it adds an element of sleeperness, unless you're looking at it head-on. But (as you can see from my profile pic), if you are looking at it head-on, for those in the know, there's the ever so minor indication that maybe this isn't a chrome bumpered, charcoal gray, 150 hp base Regal. Well, if I was goofy enough...I'd go all the way and switch to a flat hood and get steel wheels and some base Regal hubcaps ;) Notice mine doesn't even have the trunk molding.

Re: the 120#ers. You know...I thought about it...even searched Ebay to see if there was such a thing as 100#ers. I guess I figured that I'm not going to be modding it beyond what it is now. But I've thought that before...many times. And, probably would have, if I had read what you just said 3 days ago. Stupid question - to confirm...does "DD's" (just fine) mean daily drives? It's not my daily driver. I have a '98 Regal GS for that. Must say while it's a much more refined ride, even with the mods I have and an added 60-80 hp over stock, it sure feels slow compared to my TR. Well...if I ever decide to upgrade injectors again...I will. This upgrade is only costing me a net of ~$100...after I sell my 60#ers and maybe the chip. But I figure I'd like it to last a while. I'm not going to beat up on it too much. Won't be taking it to the track too often. I'll tune it for 23-24# boost...nothing outrageous so as not to be too hard on the motor. Just keep it a street cruiser/racer...and just like you said...every once in a while leave punks and even Stangs and maybe the occasional Challenger wonder WTH is up with that Regal that just embarrassed them. And I'll be happy to edge in front or at least be a competitor with some $50-$70K late model American muscle. ;)

We should have a thread of 'no kills'. A few weeks ago I tried everything to tempt a Yamaha R6, but he wouldn't bite. I finally just hammered down and took it to a quick 125 MPH. He probably knew he was out-gunned.

Oh man...you got a nice build. My 4th GN had GN1's...put down 412 whp on 19 psi (normal street tune on 96 octane; 30% xylene), 11.2 ET on BFG DR's @ 6K ft elevation. But looks like you got a real beast there!

Anyway yes...upsetting when someone who's got something quick won't bite...wimps! Why'd you buy it?!!! But yeah...then again, you might be right...he might be smart enough to know who not to mess with.

Cool! Make sure you get a tester for e-85. Happy boosting :)

First I've heard of an E85 tester. Talk to me 'bout that tester! I'm assuming it determines the % alcohol content and thus helps one calculate octane? Please...enlighten me. ;)

I don't run E85, but it's a broad classification with a specification that requires ethanol fuel blends fall within 51-83 volume % ethanol. So, don't be fooled by its name. With a tester, you simply fill it with a small amount of water, then the rest with the E85 you are considering putting into your tank. Next, you shake it up, then wait x amount of time for separation. This will display and determine the E85 source's actual ethanol content. The last thing you want to do is fill-up with low quality E85, not even know it, lean out your motor, and hurt it. If I was running E85, I'd test it to make sure it's safe for my motor and not a low percentage blend. Definitely cheap insurance. Especially if you're planning on upping your boost, you need good fuel.

Last edited:
I don't run E85, but it's a broad classification with a specification that requires ethanol fuel blends fall within 51-83 volume % ethanol. So, don't be fooled by its name. With a tester, you simply fill it with a small amount of water, then the rest with the E85 you are considering putting into your tank. Next, you shake it up, then wait x amount of time for separation. This will display and determine the E85 source's actual ethanol content. The last thing you want to do is fill-up with low quality E85, not even know it, lean out your motor, and hurt it. If I was running E85, I'd test it to make sure it's safe for my motor and not a low percentage blend. Definitely cheap insurance. Especially if you're planning on upping your boost, you need good fuel.
Exactly

Roger. I noticed a label on the pump that says it's a minimum of 70% ethanol. But I'm not disputing what you're saying rodruckus. Maybe that's the minimum in my region (or Kum & Go's supplier) or the claim is inaccurate. But I totally agree, cheap insurance... I'll check it out.

Here in my town of Fountain, CO...there isn't a lot of traffic by 9 pm. I just got my TR back last week with the new built trans installed and have yet to race anyone! The other day, I'm on my way to Walmart, and hit an intersection taking a left in the pole position, to find an STi with 3 younger guys in it. They look at me, and probably don't know what they're looking at. It's charcoal grey, chrome bumpers...no emblems. No body molding on the front. The only indication it's not just an '80's era Regal is the bump on the hood, aluminum wheels and fatter tires. My SS Pypes dual exhaust is not loud at idle.

Light turns green, and I start giving it some gas. They didn't bite at all. I've got 60# injectors, and can't WOT it beyond 1st, so I just keep it at about 80% throttle, but I'm gone. She was running STRONG on this ~50-55 degree night. With Nitto DR's, I'm conscious that I don't want to lose it as I'm taking the left turn onto the highway. Perfect, but it did pitch back and forth a bit. Anyway, all I knew was that they were a spec in my rearview a few seconds later, probably not knowing what the hell was up with this relatively quite car that was long gone in no time flat. A couple minutes later, they obviously made efforts to get through the traffic (it was all clear at that 1st intersection) just to give me a thumbs up...and probably to get a 2nd look at my car.

I've owned two STi's, one of which had a lot of bolt on's, and put down 285 AWHP. My '87 TR, even now, un-dialed in, with too-small injectors, would blow that STi away.

Well, not such a great story...but one day I'll actually race someone and have a nice kill story to post!

You selling ???

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5310396925.html