stock tape deck radio with aux input

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by ryan319, Jul 16, 2010.

1. ryan319

ryan319
    Expand Collapse

2. TurboSpeed

TurboSpeed
    Expand Collapse

That would be nice, because im keeping my GN stock radio and a ipod hooked up to it would be sweet. So i would like to know as well.

3. RegalT-type85

RegalT-type85
    Expand Collapse

4. ryan319

ryan319
    Expand Collapse

i have an FM transmitter and it sucks. i even spent money on a good one from best buy. it was like $70 and it's still a POS. basically they all suck from what i've heard.

5. garyk1970

garyk1970
    Expand Collapse
    Electronics Moderator
    Staff Member

click on the aux input link in my sig....

6. ryan319

ryan319
    Expand Collapse

the wiring seems straight forward. so i no need to jam something in the tape deck to fool the radio into thinking there's a tape in there? what did you use just so i have an idea.

i've seen other solutions that run off of a switch. switch one way to listen to the radio and switch another to listen to ipod. or i think a switched 3.5mm input plug would also do the same thing. any idea how to do this.

7. "Turbo-T"

"Turbo-T"
    Expand Collapse
    V6 on steroids

Ditto on the FM transmitters...they allow too much static and such to be caught up on whatever freq. the transmitter is working at....so you're driving along and all is fine then you run into an area where another station (that is weak but audible) is trying to use that same freq. and now you're faced with static and such.

Looks like for the most part the way it works is you're tapping into the tape head wires....isn't there a way you can set it up so you're not having to push in on the tape heads with popsicle sticks when you want to listen to an iPod? Like maybe an "aux" switch on the radio that lets you just flip to the jack inputs w/o messing with the tape player's components?

8. 38turbo

38turbo
    Expand Collapse

i bought one of the ones off ebay and i dont have to push in the cassete to trick it when i plug in the cord it just takes over
    the only thing i wish was different about it was that it would make the power antenna go down when the mp3 player is plugged in

9. garyk1970

garyk1970
    Expand Collapse
    Electronics Moderator
    Staff Member

if i remember right,you ground one of the wires (left in the five pin plug....
    red, red/white, or brown)
    to switch to the cassette....this way you dont have to "fool" the tape player by inserting something...
    use a toggle switch,or wire up a contact when you plug up a ipod jack,it will ground out the wire,thus switching over to aux.....

10. garyk1970

garyk1970
    Expand Collapse
    Electronics Moderator
    Staff Member

put the power ant trigger lead behind radio (pink) on a hidden toggle switch....

11. "Turbo-T"

"Turbo-T"
    Expand Collapse
    V6 on steroids

That's what I'm after....something that over rides the tape or radio audio when a 1/8 male pin plug is inserted into the jack. If anyone had a schematic on how to do this, that would be great.

12. monteperformanc

monteperformanc
    Expand Collapse

I tried to figure this out a few months ago. These guys that sell them on ebay are REAL secretive about how to wire it up. I'm pretty sure they interrupt the FM radio signal. One guy said if I shipped him my radio he would install the aux input for around $40 plus shipping each way. I have not done it yet.

13. Sweetwater GN

Sweetwater GN
    Expand Collapse
    Unstoppable :)

google 'fm modulator', I used one made by audiovox and it worked good. Goes in between your antenna lead and the input to the stereo.

14. Cadillac7834

Cadillac7834
    Expand Collapse

IMG_1059.JPG I'm going through this same problem 7 years later, lol. I have a 84 but my Delco cassette player only seems to have a 4 pin connector. Any idea which wires are - + and which are the audio inputs to splice a aux port into?

15. garyk1970

garyk1970
    Expand Collapse
    Electronics Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you follow them to the tape head?

16. Cadillac7834

Cadillac7834
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I should of taken a picture of the tape deck end. I'll double check when I get home, they all go to the circuit board. Below 3 of them there's a + and a L I believe but there offset donuts hard to tell which wire it corresponds too.