Summit/Comp trunnion kits..

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Lots of chatter on LS1 tech, and elsewhere, about the above replacement trunnion shafts being eaten up by the needle brgs..Shafts found to be softer than the needles.
Decided to look further, and I see some street apps w/ elevated spring psi's are failing.
As a "fix", there are several companies offering bushings as an alternative.
I decided, even tho I have a new Comp kit installed on the turbo engine, I decided to change to the bushings.
I chose the Chris Straub kit.
During the disassembly of a set of stock rockers, of unknown mileage, I found at least 4 that had the needle brg cups loose in them. Beware, as there are no snap rings, to keep the cups in place.:eek:
One of these comes out, it's a handful of needles in the oil pan..Or, worse. Run the stockers, I Strongly suggest a magnetic drain plug.(y)
More after I get the kit. $175, incl new bolts, free frt.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/1819234-straub-bushing-trunion-kits.html

Just completed the Straub bushing kit install. All I can say is: NICE!!(y)
Bout an hr to do them in clean rockers.

Question about the solid bushing ls trunion install. Would you recommend any kind of install kit. Like what Summit sells. Or can you use a couple sockets and a table vise? What did you use?

Question about the solid bushing ls trunion install. Would you recommend any kind of install kit. Like what Summit sells. Or can you use a couple sockets and a table vise? What did you use?
I already had the Summit kit, so I used parts of it.
However, I use the Straub kit. It has easy to follow directions in it. I used the drill press as the "press".
Including disassembly, cleaning, and installing the Straub kit, I spent about an hour.
The kit is first class stuff, well packaged, finished, and includes a packet of assy lube.

Here's the link.
http://www.straubtechnologies.com/

HTH,:D

I have the kit from Chris as well and have done a few other. VERY nice kit with quality parts. I use my bench vice with assorted size sockets to do the job.