T63 Turbo bolt on?

dssking

Gentlemen,

I have an opportunity to pick up a T63 turbo for $200. Is this unit a direct bolt on to replace the stock unit? I suspect it'll need rebuilding at some point, which I'd do before installing......

Thoughts?

Oh it'll bolt on (if its 3 bolt) but if you don't have the supporting mods all it will do is make you slower :D.

I dont know all of the details about the designations of the T63, Te-63, T63e, etc. I know that some had actuators on them and they have large jounal bearings. That is a big jump from stock to a T63. Supporting mods would include injectors,some head work, torque converter, suspension work, computer work, intercooler, etc. My Te-63 with a .85 A/R pushed my full weight GN to 10.50's using an Art Carr 9" non lockup torque converter with 3.73 gears. I sent it to Reed for a rebuild ( at the time Turbo Specialties, now Work Turbochargers in AL) and he modified it to a 66mm. I picked up 2 tenths before the tranny started slipping again. With an Ultimate Converter Concepts torque converter and a Turbo 350, the car ran a 10.10. With the 3.42 gear in the car, it has ran a 9.94 and a 9.97. I might be able to back those times up now as the car has gotten heavier with me sitting in it. :D It is a dinosaur of a turbo considering what is out there now but it is still very well capable of getting the job done.