What is the next step up from a TA 49

313badbuick

A V6!!!!
Looking to upgrade my TA 49 on my 86 T Type.... turbo seal is bad and I'm not a fan of the surge in low RPM's. Current mods are in signature. I was thinking 6262 or 6265 with possibly a converter change from my restalled D5 to 9.5 NL . What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance.

The next step up is the PTE58/58 considering the TA49 is a 58/56 and older tech.

62/62 or 62/66 (BPE62/65) are probably the more realistic turbos if you consider future mods and the normal progression these cars go down.

PTC 9.5" NL 17 blade is a great converter, hard to beat.

The next step up is the PTE58/58 considering the TA49 is a 58/56 and older tech.

62/62 or 62/66 (BPE62/65) are probably the more realistic turbos if you consider future mods and the normal progression these cars go down.

PTC 9.5" NL 17 blade is a great converter, hard to beat.

I do miss the PTC 9.5 NL with the 6262..very nice combo! Which is where I'm leaning towards. 6262 or 6265 with PTC 9.5 NL and Champion iron heads.

Looking to upgrade my TA 49 on my 86 T Type.... turbo seal is bad and I'm not a fan of the surge in low RPM's. Current mods are in signature. I was thinking 6262 or 6265 with possibly a converter change from my restalled D5 to 9.5 NL . What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance.
Choose the turbo based on the power you want to support,then ask your self do you have the motor and drivetrain mods to utilize that turbo.

I just upgraded from a ta49. I've gone with a bison built mfs 5957 combined with a 10" 2800 lock up.beast on the streets. [emoji4][emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For my future goals a 6262 or 6265 is what I will get leaning more towards the 6265 with a PTC 9.5 17 NL

Hello. I just read your post with regard to "bison's mfs5957" turbo. I am also considering upgrading my TA49. I have an '87 Turbo T limited. Everything rebuilt or replaced last 4 years. No Alky, No head work. Just a good valve job. Dutt neck. Running the max boost on 93, 17 #'s. ALL the bolt-ons. Plus suspension work. My converter is a 3000 stall speed 10" unit. I live in Massachusetts. I plan on going down to Connecticut in the spring. The car runs great, but I would like him to tune for the most power. Giving the fact that do not have Alky or head work. I don't know if the turbo upgrade will be cost effective. By the way, what does the "mfs" stand for? I know what the numbers represent. But not the letters. Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0572.JPG
    IMG_0572.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 292
Hello. I just read your post with regard to "bison's mfs5957" turbo. I am also considering upgrading my TA49. I have an '87 Turbo T limited. Everything rebuilt or replaced last 4 years. No Alky, No head work. Just a good valve job. Dutt neck. Running the max boost on 93, 17 #'s. ALL the bolt-ons. Plus suspension work. My converter is a 3000 stall speed 10" unit. I live in Massachusetts. I plan on going down to Connecticut in the spring. The car runs great, but I would like him to tune for the most power. Giving the fact that do not have Alky or head work. I don't know if the turbo upgrade will be cost effective. By the way, what does the "mfs" stand for? I know what the numbers represent. But not the letters. Thanks...
No benefits in changing turbos at 17 psi until you can turn the boost up over 24 #s tuned with alky and still may not gain much over the 49 with a 5957 . and by that point you might want to port the heads and skip over the 5957 and go for a Tnetics 6162 or a pt6262

If you are tuned for 17 psi and don't have intention to increase octane or change hard parts, put a stock turbo back on the car. It will be quicker and more fun on the street.

Based on my experiences, Bison most likely won't recommend a turbo upgrade, but ask him.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I knew after the engine was rebuilt and the heads were not done, I was going to regret it. But the truth of the matter was, I wasn't sure the machinist had ever ported a set of 8445 heads. There are a lot of engine builders that think they are just another set of "small block Chevy heads." I guess I could always bolt-on a set of Champion irons. I just hate to tear it apart. I finally got it running really good, and looking good under the hood. Hey that rhymes! Thanks again...

I just upgraded from a ta49. I've gone with a bison built mfs 5957 combined with a 10" 2800 lock up.beast on the streets. [emoji4][emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
how do you like this Turbo now that you've had it for a while? is it a big step up from the TA49?
Have you run the car at the track or had it an a dyno?

As of last night I think my turbo may be junk, it's an old Turbonetics cheater turbo

Hello. How are you. That's what I was thinking. But I don't know If It would be worth the upgrade without "alky injection," or race fuel. I am running 17 lbs. of boost. I cannot go any higher on 93 octane. Rebuilt motor and heads. No porting. You see my problem, I can't raise the boost. I do have a 212/212 flat tappet Comp Cam. And a real good 3000 stall converter. Also "Dutt Neck" I.C. I think I need to stay with TA49. It has also been rebuilt. Take Care...

Hello. How are you. That's what I was thinking. But I don't know If It would be worth the upgrade without "alky injection," or race fuel. I am running 17 lbs. of boost. I cannot go any higher on 93 octane. Rebuilt motor and heads. No porting. You see my problem, I can't raise the boost. I do have a 212/212 flat tappet Comp Cam. And a real good 3000 stall converter. Also "Dutt Neck" I.C. I think I need to stay with TA49. It has also been rebuilt. Take Care...
No gains until your way in the 20s of boost levels on that set up.